Well, I did it again!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Ended up in the emergency room again Sunday night with my asthma.

We went to my sister's and I was having trouble breathing.
    I used the last of my inhaler and my niece had one and I used the last of it and it wasn't helping, so I started pointing towards the hospital, which was just across the road this time.

I don't know what's going on this year, but I've been having a heck of a time with my asthma the last couple month's?
    I was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago and I've been able to deal with it, but not this year.

They put me back on the inhalers last time I had to go to the emergency room, about three weeks ago.
    I don't know if it's the humidity this year from all the rain, but I have been having a lot of trouble breathing?
    Now, they want to put me on some medicine I take everyday for it to see if it helps?

Does anyone else have asthma, and how do you deal with it?

Ken

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Ken, I understand your pain. I've got asthma as well and it's been a bad year, even at the other end of the country (PA). I've kept it manageable by using my preventative inhaler (Advair) daily and my rescue inhaler (Albuterol) as needed. I also watch the news for their warnings of high pollutant concentrations and try to stay indoors as much as possible on those days, though I can usually figure out what kind of day it'll be soon after waking up.

Unfortunately, your asthma may not just be due to a bad year. There are many things that can have made your asthma worse or you could have new triggers. Either way, you should go to your doctor and discuss it with him/her. Besides a new inhaler, he/she may want you to go on allergy medication if you're not already.

Good luck.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not being able to breathe has to be the scariest experience one could imagine...

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Prayers are sent brother, my brother had it pretty bad and was in sports. He would almost collapse on the wrestling mats sometimes.

5. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I use Albuterol now as needed, and they give me a script for Advair.
    I also have allergies, which I take medicine, when I need it.
    I've been able to go without my inhaler the last few years and haven't really had that much trouble, but this year's been quit different?

I need to call and set up an appointment and talk with her and see what she thinks, and what would be the best way to go?

Ken

6. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

It does get scary!
    One of the best things a person can do, is not to panic?
    It's hard to stay calm, when you have a bad attack, but it does help?

I've always had some problem breathing, and have learned how to deal with it, as long as it's not too bad, like it has been this year?

Ken

7. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Last year my asthma went from mild (using my inhaler maybe 4 times a year) to extreme and I had to reevaluate it with my doctor. Asthma is a condition that can change over the years and what it was in the past doesn't mean it'll stay that way in the future.

Your doctor will be able to help you best, but what you're taking now is not addressing the asthma before you have an attack. Advair works wonderfully for me and keeps me from having to interrupt everything when I had an attack. I hope you find what works for you soon.

8. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Well, it happened again Wed. night. My Daughter had to call the ambulance and spent most of the night in the emergency room?
    This night was the worst as far as the emergency room staff?
    They kept putting tubes up my nose and I told them I can't breath through my nose.
    I kept pulling the tubes from my nose and sticking it my mouth so I could get some air? They kept telling me I was getting enough air, but I had to disagree with them?

I was telling them about another problem I was having since the last time I was in the emergency room and they gave me some shot and I don't remember anything until I woke up at home the next day?
    I don't know what they give me, but it seemed to help the other problem, because when I woke up I was able to move around pretty good?
    Sunday, when I went in, about an hour after I had left, my neck started getting stiff and I could hardly move it. The next day it had moved into my shoulders and it was all I could do to get out of bed? My neck and shoulders were so sore and stiff, I could hardly move?

I was reading something on the web about the West Nile Virus, and I was having some of the same symptoms, so I called and made an appointment with my doctor for Friday.
    They give me some shot Wed. night, I don't know what it was but when I woke up Thursday, I felt a lot better. My neck and shoulders were still a little stiff and sore, but I could move a lot better then I could the last couple days.

When I find out what the doctor has to say Friday, I'll let you guy's know?

Ken

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Reed;
    Kenneth, I've had to use my inhaler more than normal this summer too! If you will check the online weather channels you will find the "Air Particulate", Humidity, and Ozone, levels have been higher than normal with some of the pollens in some of the areas of this country being higher than normal too. I know here in my "backyard" that St. Louis has had several "Orange" warning days already this past month and are expecting even higher {{Red or even Black!!! :-(}} during this month of August and in to September!!
    Many nights I can go outside in my yard after dark and shine my Surefire M3 up in the sky and it looks like a fine mist of rain flowing through the beam!!!:sad2: With conditions like that it's no wonder people are having breathing troubles! My wife; Raven, does not have any respiratory problems {{COPD, Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis, ect }} and even she has had to use antihistamines and decongestants the past 6 weeks or so!!
    :angry: It really burns me up when I hear people say that there is nothing wrong with the air and that people are just making it up! I've got news for them! Someday, they too might have a bit of trouble breathing and I wonder what they will say then!! It's NOT funny and it IS A PROBLEM not just in the CONUS but all around the World!! But I'll stop here on that subject!
    Kenneth, give that oral medication a try. My doctor tells me he has had great results with the people he has prescribed it for. :big_smile: Also, you may not need to be on it year around! You may only need to take it during the summer months or months that have high pollen counts, et al.
    DO REMEMBER that if you go on the oral medication it does NOT take the place of your Fast Acting Inhaler! You may still need to use it from time to time so keep it with you.
    I'm fortunate in that I only have to use my Fast Acting Inhaler and withing a few minutes it takes care of the problem although sometimes I have had to take the second puff on especially bad days. Still, it beats having to carry an oxygen bottle with me when out in public as I have seen some poor folks have to do to get to the store and all.
    Also, we use a 1200 particulate filter in our home which helps a lot too. The one thing I have found that really helps me too is to increase my water intake during the day or at times when I am going to be outside. I even keep one with me when I am out going to the store or other errands, ect. I believe what it does is keep the mucous membranes saturated so that they can drain all the stuff getting caught in your nose and breathing paths so that you CAN get more oxygen exchange with you breath.
    In addition, it also helps keep you from being dehydrated which also helps regulate your digestive system too. Nuff Said on THAT subject!:wink:
    But it IS true that most people go through the day in a dehydrated state because we don't drink enough water! Yes, Fruit Juices, and those "Power Drinks" ect, sometimes help but the human body was "designed" to make the most use of plain Ole' WATER no matter if you get it in a bottle or the faucet.
    The worst enemy of the body in the summer is those Soda's!! Yes, I am guilty too and willingly admit it. But I've learned to keep my soda intake down to two can's per day and those when I am in the house. Everything else is water along with the V8, Orange, and Grapefruit juice! Apparently the soda's, no matter if they are the "Zero Calorie" or not, dehydrate the "Gut", which is another word for the intestines. If the water is not pure, such as in a soda, the body has a much harder time getting the water out of it!
    Well, I apologize for getting long winded here!:sad2: But DO try the oral medication, keep your FAI/Fast Acting Inhaler with you and keep yourself hydrated, even if you don't think you need the water drink it anyway! Your body will thank you for it.
    Sorry for being so long winded!! I hope this helps you out and please feel free to contact me if I can answer any of your questions or help you out on any other questions or projects.
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]