Well I am hooked

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfisherman369, Aug 23, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I finally broke down and bought some circle hooks . I bought 5/0 and was using cut bluegill . First hit I pulled as I have been doing J hooks for over 30 years of catfishing and must have pulled right out of its mouth . After that I waited and just reeled after the bite . Bingo they worked great and never missed a fish . I love them already . Every fish was hooked in the side of the mouth . I sure wish I would have tried them sooner . Now I need to find a place to buy them cheap . I bought 5/0 and they costed me about 65 cents a hook .

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya gotta ask yourself. Is cheap gonna work? I've found that Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks are the bomb. Ya wanna have some fun? Put your rods out some with circle and some with regular hooks. Now try to remember wich is wich when the you know what hits the fan. LOL!

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I like them 4x strong gamas they work real well for the size fish I go after

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use gamakatsu from 5/0 to 8/0 mostly, 7/0 being my most used size. There is a significant difference from one brand to another where the gap is concerned. Always look for one with a wide gap at the point. An inline shank has been shown in some studies to cause less fatalities to fish that are released, but the offset point works well for most folks. I don't particularly care for Eagle Claw, as I have actually had a couple of them straighten out on larger fish. The quality hooks cost more, but are worth it to me. I don't loose as many hooks as I did when using 'j' hooks, so it may even balance out. I often use kahle hooks when fishing live bait, and they also work great. I can let the fish hook themselves, or set the rod like I did with the 'j' hooks. Either way works.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Always nice to hear good story's about the circle hooks. A little patience an bingo you'll find these hooks are so simple to use an catch fish. Just don't do what I have done an put it through your hand. Gotta tell you it's not easily pulled back out.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Circle hooks are great for when the fish are hammering the baits. Don't go cheap or it will cost you. Use kahle hooks for the days the bite is not as aggressive.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Welcome to the club. Once you start using them, you can't kick the habit. Experiment with the different styles to see what works best for you. Gamakatsu rules the catfish world, but there are several different types/companies that will work just as well.

For a more economical hook, look at the modified (longer shanks) circles from Eagle Claw and Mustad. They both offer hooks with different sizes of wire, so pick a heavy duty hook if you're looking for the trophy fish. If you just fishing for smaller fish, pick the one you like the best. I get as good a hook-up ratio with them as I do the Gamakatsu hooks. The Eagle Claw hooks are also American-made, if that's important to you.

8. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I am just like you. I tried it full time this year and I am hooked for sure. They work great.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    man that is so true i use different hooks for different kinds of baits sometimes and when you got two circles and two kahles or octopus hooks out it can put you in panic mode when you get a hit and your brain is trying to remember which hook you got on that pole lol:smile2: good stuff.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I haven't used J hooks since I tried circle hooks, I miss fewer fish. I use 5/0 - 8/0, depending on the bait.

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :confused2::confused2: i started this year with j hooks now i am using king kahle hooks went to the bait shop picked me up some king kahles :embarassed::embarassed::embarassed: now i am wondering should i have grabbed those gamaos 8/0 circle and not the 9/0 king kahles

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah big George is right.. YA DO WANDER if the cheap are what their said to be. But most circles/octo hooks are pretty good at what they do.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'm wondering if I should change my blue gill catching hooks from J style which makes getting the hook out easer if it is deep,

To.... circle hooks for that as well. usually I use a # 6 for the crawler parts that I use ...

any comments on circles for gills....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck bro use them both if you want try them with different baits see how it works out for ya.no law says you have to use one type hook ya know?if anything try them side by side and see which one you like the best.Like i say theres some baits i like using with kahles that i dont with circles and visa versa.personal preference really.