Weldon Springs

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by topfuelkc, Jul 24, 2008.

1. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Has anyone seen the river here in the past day or two. Are the wing dikes showing good yet. Are the fish biting yet:roll_eyes:

2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    no wing dykes and the river is on the way back up here in washington

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was on the river wednesday and it was rising fast. The dykes were under exept for a very few of the big ones had just a few rocks showing. The debri in the river was not bad, it was much worse a few weeks ago. Fishing was slow but managed a few good fish from various wood structures that had current. We were using mooneye, shad, and carpsuckers. Everything caught was on the carpsuckers. They stay very lively. Get in close to the logjams.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    When the river is up like this, do you try to tie off to structure or do you anchor? I'm wanting to put in at Bonnots Mill this weekend and head out on the Missouri, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to hold with my cinder block anchor even if I let out a lot of line. Everybody I know uses a homemade anchor that digs into the river bottom. We have always just threw the anchor out on a dike and fished. This high water is a bit new to me.

5. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    well it depends on how big of a boat you have on wether or not your anchor will hold the current is pretty tough. I usually tie off to structure. My boat is 20' so its hard to hold in strong current. good luck. I may try to go out saturday night if everything works out.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    My boat is a 1648 welded jon. Reason I asked about the anchoring is because when water comes up like this, there's nothing to tie off to unless I'm right on the bank. That will prevent me from hitting those deeper scour holes though that form out in the swifter main part of the river.

I'm begging and pleading to get somebody to build me one of those custom anchors from lead and rebar that work so well. Maybe somebody will feel sorry for me and let me pay them for there materials and labor to make one. :smile2:

7. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to have one also I have not seen one but if I had some pictures ,I have the rebar and I'm sure I could come up with the lead. I would build a couple of them.

8. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
  9. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey thanks for the pics would a cast iron frying pan work i dont know where i would find a cast iron bowl. now all I have to do is dig enough lead. Approx 80lbs for two anchors.

10. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    A lot of guys like using a bread pan. They make square ones and they like them better. You can make one and if it wont hold you can go back and add some more lead to it. If ya read through all the post on the link it should explain it a lot better then me.

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yes a cast iron skillet will work and you don't need 80lbs. of lead either I think mine only weighs about 20lbs. and it works fine. Even in a muddy bottom you have to let out alot of line, but it will hold.