Welding help.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whiskerchaser, Aug 26, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok guys we just started welding in high school and its fun my problem is im not getting a big enough puddle then when i do get it big it pops. what am i doing wrong? please help me with some tips i wanna do welding as my career so i need some help,.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    What size rods are you using and how thick is the metal?
    The puddle only needs to be twice as wide as the rod ;1/8 rod=1/4 puddle. You also may be running to hot.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I am not using a rod its just the about 1/8in metal just a lil sheet scrap. it doesnt bend its hard. we just use the welder and the metal no rod. I have the pressure thing on the dial at like 3lbs of pressure is that too much that wat he told us to use.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You doing gas welding or arc welding? Helps to know.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Turn the pressure up to 15psi and see if that helps. You are using a mig welder, I presume.
    It helps to have a little detail sometimes , lol!!!

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    sounds like hes doing oxyacetylene welding without a rod.

without a little more info all i can suggest is maybe set your torch at the lowest possible settings and keep a very steady u shaped arc motion going.

lengthen the motion of the u shape to keep from getting the puddle too hot and blowing through .

it helps to get your self positioned to were your comfortable, and you
    can use your free hand to make a rest (like a bench rest) to keep the torch tip at the correct pitch and distance from the work throughout your
    weld.

hope this helps
    i remember takeing welding course and this was the first phase we all went through next you'll be useing the fill rod .
    get good enough at it and you can use a cutting torch to weld and cut with. seen a bunch of the muffler shop guys do this pretty slick.

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    sorry i just started and dont know what the welder is called ok sorry and yes its oxyteciline or whatever spelling.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    are you still going to tear down a lawn mower motor?
    if so i have a briggs and stratton manuel that ive used for over 15 years
    if you would like to use it i will mail it to you or if you want to find a newer one off ebay i can help you locate it .
    let me know.
    mine is all there but pretty tattered and a bit greasy :smile2:

9. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    don't know but good luck with it

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i would guess the popping is your tip getting into the puddle
    you need to keep your tip at a distance far enough away to avoid that but close enough to properly heat and melt the steel .
    that is what your free hand can do .
    it should be used to keep the tip steady and at a even height ,and angle
    and your operating hand provides the movement and speed of your travel
    in forming the u shaped swirls that blend your 2 pieces of metal together

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Haught;
    James, I seem to be missing something here.
    Didn't you say you just started this class in school?
    Don't you have an instructor in this class?
    How about a handbook?
    I don't mean to be rude but it seems to me that your "putting the cart before the horse" so to speak.
    In addition, it sounds to me like you should be doing some book work first before starting anything!
    To be SAFE you have to know WHAT kind of equipment your using and how to use it SAFELY FIRST before you even start welding.
    There are a lot of us, me included, that are more than willing to help you but you must remember that you have to do your "Homework" First!
    As I said, I don't mean to be rude but from what little I have seen in your post, I would advise you to seek out your Instructor for that class first!
    If I'm misinterpreting your original post then tell me, explain in detail so that I can understand, and I will gladly apologize.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    your probably right , he needs to seek
    help from his instructor .
    in my particular expieriance though
    my first year of high school shop class was 30 kids 1 instructor
    and a whole lot of un answered questions .
    this teacher was a smart man and a smart alleck that wouldnt give me and a few others the time of day . he was busy with his pet students
    and there mechanical project ( a tractor )
    yes the tractor project was a cool project and it indeed required alot if not most of his attention to get it done over the course of the few weeks we had to devote to shop after all in this little school i attended we had shop and future farmers of america in the same hour so part of the year was shop the rest FFA .
    saying this it still didnt do the other kids like me that was forced to sink or swim doing our less important projects one of which (MINE) was an old non working lawn mower that i brought in to try and fix.
    after becomeing a grown man many years later i finally lived out the desire to tear apart and reassemble a lawn mower and actually repair it and bring it back to life . ive since then brought many mowers back from there junkyard slumber and into service as well as used my little bit of small engine knowledge to help me on bigger motors and a couple motorcycle problems.
    im just guessing but maybe james's situation is similar to mine.
    could be his instructor / teacher isnt helpful or explaining things effectively
    everyone learns at different speeds and levels.
    maybe one little thing one of us says might just click and help him out.
    anyhow it cant hurt to try and help

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    COOL

IM TAKING WELDING CLASS NOW TOO

OH I CANT WAIT ITS GONNA BE SWEET

but i am definately readin this stuff cause i have never welded in my life

Jeff

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Support BOC, get off the internet till ya got the time and , listen to your instructor and practice. Real life gets R done.
    keep welding and your will get it.

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    thanks but ya there is 15 kids and 1 teacher. he only has 8 welding station so the other 7 kids do book work and he cant teach both groups and our school wont give any money to buy more equipment. but thanks guys. I have been paying a lot of attention and have been studying and doing book work for about 1 week.

16. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Do you have any older students in the class that have already been through the coarse? if so i'd ask them for help, that's how i learned to weld . I'm not a pro but i can Get R Done.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I agree with Darryl. Your tip is going in the molten steel. You will catch on it just takes time. Wait till you start arch welding, your rod sticking will drive you nuts.
    Bill

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I remember shop class in school.
    The teacher had all his buddies (drinking buddies) coming during our classes cutting up our materials and working on their own projects.
    I learned to push them out of the way and to bring my own materials.
    He didnt teach squat, but fortunately I wasnt new to the equipment and enjoyed using a mega shop.
    I remember so well unloading truckloads of lumber the school bought that we seemingly never got to use except for the leftover scraps.
    Very knowledgeable teacher but he wasnt into teaching and sharing his knowledge.

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    mark that sounds like the teacher i had but basically it wasnt his buddies as much as maybe a favorite student's (possibly a relative) farm tractor
    that got a engine rebuilt or something major that he used as a project
    but it was actually a favor for someone .
    area vo-techs around that area and here to i think would do body work and different things for people at a fraction of the cost of a shop as it was
    a learning expeiriance for the students . all you pay is parts.
    that is all fine and well for a vo tech but a high school should involve all students in something not pic and choose.
    its not like a sports team where they want the best players to win a game.