welding breaks on boat REPAIRs

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by jjfisher666, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Come back to hook boat to trailer nothing to hook to . Loop and metal bracket broke all the way around .A bad weld or a common problem.Not old boat not first break . Help?

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    are you talking about the coupler on the end of the trailer tongue? If so you can always just bolt that on, just be sure to use heavy grade 8 bolts etc...

3. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    im takin bout the metal piece that the loop to crank boat on is attached too . bout 2" +4" where three ribs end . we took on some water

hd20cc Xpress

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man......that sucks. I would take it to a fab shop and have it welded on REAL good.

5. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    wrong trailer causing stress needs shim kit for trailer sounds like BS to me

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    John welcome to the BOC brother,if i was close to ya id come fix that trailor for ya,since i weld for a living,but since your a brother of the BOC it would be free,ya might have to cook some cats for supper for payment lol..But ya trailor would be fixed or we could build ya another one.............

7. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    try a softer rod with a lower temperature (lighter welds work better)and use a backing plate on the in side and small 1/4 " bolts on the corners. I've fixed a few that away. it seams to last for years.
    jerry

8. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    took back to manufure in Ark welded plate with hook on looks goood.
    heavy duty hook and plate compared to original

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    did they have any real input as to what caused the problem? do you run the boat up on the trailer all the way under power or do you crank it most of the way? i have a polarkraft that had the same problem from being winched up the trailer the last few feet all the time because the guys hitch was so high on his truck that the front of the trailer wasnt low enough in the water to run the boat all the way up without winching the last few feet...

10. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we power most way on . river loading in current is pretty hard have to crank up some or current push boat back off trailer if you back in more .
    they said front of boat was too high ontrailer . adjusted all this