Welding as a profession

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by field989, Sep 4, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i am takin welding class in school and i LOVE it

and i think when i finish advance welding if i like it i will look into doin welding as a profession

what do u guys think

do they get paid good...

what are some pluses and minuses

also i did some GOOD welds friday.... all uniform and no pits or anything in it

i just love doin it

and i think it might be good to look into this as a career

Thanks

Jeff

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes! You can make very good money as a welder,my husband has certificates in welding and diesel mechanics. He got around 20-25 dollors an hour without overtime with overtime it was more! You're on the right track kid just keep on keepin on!------------pk:big_smile:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take good care of your lungs...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The worst day's fishing is better than the best day's work

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There is money, and good money at that, to be made in welding learn as much as you can. Sub-arch, tig, mig, stick and saturation welding. Along with welding you can learn farication and fitting. I have a few years, in the field and went from welder to site foreman and that was working part-time in town jobs. I almost made as much doing that part-time as I did working full time EMS. Good luck

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Being a welder is a noble profession and can be alot of fun. Just make sure you know all the long term health risks that can be involved. Good luck with it!

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The pluses could be good pay for good welders.
    Where I worked (petrochemical industry) most high pressure and extreme low/high temperature welds were X-Ray tested. Minuses would be getting fired if the welds didn't pass x-ray.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i was also thinking of that.... a diesel mechanic...

cool

also what are some of the health risks...

i know some of the gases are BAD but
    could i get some more info on this???

Thanks Jeff

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

i was also thinking of that.... diesel mechanic....

cool

also what are some of the health risks

i know some of the gases are BAD
    could i get some more info on this

Thanks Jeff

somethin messed up and it posted twice...

sorry

9. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Construction welding pays good. Welding in a factory, you can live pay check to paycheck. I taught welding and always encouraged students to learn other things in that field . Like stainless tig welding pipe, Mill wrights. Installing machinery. But I guess with all the factories going south there isn't many machines to install anymore.
    One good thing learn to weld aluminum and you can weld your own boat when it needs it.

10. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Follow your dreams Jeff, you can reach your goals. Sorry, seriously though, I have worked in aircraft and custom motorcycle building, and if I could weld I would be making double what I do now. It seems like a pretty smart choice to me, especially if you enjoy doing it...:big_smile:

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use to weld for a living but that was years ago. A friend of mine welds pipe on construction sights. He makes 28 an hour. Keep in mind tho that is in the winter too. Follow your dreams.
    Bill

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Welding is a good job. Awesome money. min i would say is 15.00 max is prolly 40.00 starting off.. no exp. when u do have exp and if u are good. then ppl will start talking and soon enough u will be working for huge comp. making about 60.00/hr. But as everyone else said, welding like many other jobs have health risks. Just be careful. Use protective gears. Including a good apron, long sleeve shirts, and pants... Perf. boots... And most imp. NEVER weld w/o your helmet/shield. you can get a real good one that will last you for 10-20 years with your first paycheck. You can adjust the lighting on it b4 the arc. then it gets auto shaded. They run you about 200-300.00 but its worth it. That what i use when i weld at my grandpa's and i tell ya man, hard to beat them. Another plus in mastering the weld, if you have something that needs welded you can do it yourself. Or if you do a little work around your town for a few people, they will be talking to a couple buddies and be like yeah, that Jeff guy done some welding for me here a while back on my _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ... and its still holding after all this time. Then the whole town will be coming to you to have you weld stuff and charge them all a decent fee but reasonable. Good luck man and if i had the chance, you better believe that i would be at the vocational school here taking Ag Mechanics/Welding.

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Btw, i have a cousin that lives here in Ohio, who works for a aircraft place that does thermal spraying, and sometimes he has to go to another site of the same company in diff states and he went to Texas last year for 2 weeks to weld a HUGE pipe they were putting under ground. And he made about 4,000.00 in 2 weeks from the welding then he got about 10% of what his comp. made off the comp that needed the welding done. That means he cleared 5K after taxes and all in 2 weeks. Thats a lot of money there. But hes been with that comp for about 20 years... spraying. NOT welding.

14. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I agree with the rest. I know a guy who's made his living off of welding for a company (don't remember it's name) and he sure ain't hurtin'...:cool2: Even if you don't make a career out of it, I've made and saved a decent amount of money, doin' it on the side. It's a great thing to know, so keep at it!

-Red