Welded river boats from the NW

Discussion in 'Boating' started by riverdasher, Feb 10, 2008.

1. riverdasher

riverdasher New Member

State:
    Washington
    I am from Washington State and it is interesting to see the kind of boats the rest of the country uses. Up here in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and N. California, we use heavy welded aluminum boats with names like Duckworth, Alumaweld, North River, Hewescraft, Weldcraft, Thunderjet, etc. We probably have wilder, rougher, rivers here. Lots of white-water. Big rocks and shallow gravel riffles. These jet boats can run in 6 inches of water on plane. I have owned 3. We also use them for lake and saltwater fishing since most have at least a 14 degree deadrise. There are also deep-vee models from each of these companies that run props and they are probably the fastest growing segment of the sales for non-river fishing. Boaters like the lighter weight of the aluminum compared to fiberglass and they are easier to maintain.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Those are great boats for the folks who can afford them.

But $55k or more for a 20 ft boat is just a little out of my price range...

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I looked at some of those brands, they are heavy boats. Six inches on plane is to deep for the waters I fish. Sometimes there is less than six inches all together.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SEA=ARK IS POPLUR IN INDIANA ,ALSO LOWE,POLORCRAFT,STARCRAFTAND G3

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 18.5' Wooldridge Alaskan II. I really like it. The only drawback of the boat is no livewell.

Attached Files:

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a friend that has a Alumiweld with a walk-through windshield and it is a REALLY nice boat! We have fished out of it on the Mississippi a time or two and its nice!:wink:All things being equal from what Ive seen a fiberglass boat will be quite a bit more expensive than a comparable aluminum boat. Had I researced a little bit more, I probably would have gotten an aluminum boat for my big boat also instead of fiberglass, but it is nice!:wink:

7. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm one of those crazy midwesterners that made the 4000 mile round trip to get one of those NW style jet boats.

I got a 21' North River Commander.

These boats are built really tough and are made to run in just about any weather. They not only have the windshield and top, but also heater/defroster, windshiled wipers, and nice comfy suspension ride seats.

I also wanted the Hamilton jet pump for the power and low speed control, which none of the inboard jet builders around here offer.

And my boat did not cost $55k, some do however, but I saw fiberglass bass boats at the St. Louis show running $50K and vene a pontoon for $127,000:eek:oooh:.

Here is what the top and inside look like.

Commander top.jpg

Commander Interior.jpg

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Very nice looking boat! I'd love to own one like it!

Bill

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Oh My! I'm just green with envy!:wink:

Looks like it was well worth the long drive.

Bill

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard that sure is a GREAT looking boat!:wink:

11. riverdasher

riverdasher New Member

State:
    Washington
    That is an awesome North River. I have a new North River dealership, factory store, a couple miles from my home. You bought top-of-the-line Commander. There are jet drive North Rivers for far less, even under $30,000 with outboard jets. I am going to be buying the North River Seahawk 21' . It will run me about 37,000 for boat, motor, and trailer. The Seahawk has a dead rise of 42 degrees at the bow entry and gradually ends up at 18 degrees at the transom. Good rough water boat, but not for the river.

12. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Seahawks look like a great boat for the big blue and open water.
    I got mine from the factory store in Portland, I flew the family out in the spring, and checked out North River, Thunder Jet, Custom Weld, North West, Fish Rite, and even talked to several others. Then had to order it and picked up in August.(man that was a long summer)

For the money and all the standard features as well as the fit-n-finish, and the customer service I found the NR to be my best buy and have been very happy with my boat.

Good choice or your Seahawk:big_smile:

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    There are several home made al boats around here.
    Good heavy big wide ones.
    Wish I had been born rich lol
    Really though the commercial fishermen and the old timer river rats have them.
    the best to ya
    just

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    RivrLivn(richard) that's Nice lookn NR, getting me a 20' NR mariner with an 150hp outboard jet with an opt. tunnel hull, here on the clolorado river we get a lot of river grass and thinking an OB would be easier to clean out then inboard and gives a some extra room inside

Was thinking about some of the wooldridge boats after mike81 got his and looking at there boats on the web as my next boat but was able to see a NR Here in SoCal at a show so I went with what I could see hands on , for a catfish boat I cant see how ya could get a better fishing boat, just cant see the use of a deck on the back of a catfishing riverboat. The boats out of the NW are about the only wide open rear fishing boat around with a helm thats out of the way up front for fishing rivers to the back of the boat.

Wooldridge makes one of the best outboard jet boats you could ever buy, Glenn Wooldridge and Dick Stallman of Speciality Mfg. Company (who makes all jet outboard pumps) were the first together to put an outboard jet on a boat. Wooldridge also developed the high performance 4 bladed ss impeller and is the only place you can get them, was thinking of getting 20' X-plus or 20 X-wide Alaskan there a lighter boat then the NR, then Alaskans if ya can't driver threw it ya drive over it

got a you tube vid of a Alaskan at work with a good look at how there made at the factory, sit back and injoy and turn it up:big_smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpduQSVgt64

15. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Here's a shot of my River Runner!:wink:

Attached Files:

16. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    bob thats one fine jet boat there, thats a true (big)white water boat, gots to be one of the best out there, what size engine in her? dude ur not one of them crazy dudes that runs the big white water are you:eek:oooh::wink: lol

A good place to find out about alum. river boats from the NW is "boating sportsman magazine" www . boatingsportsman . com a lot of great info on jets to be found

17. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Thank you for the comp! :smile2: I've built her over the last 5 year. It has the VortecTBI Injested 330Hp KEM Kodiac, with the AT-SD 312 pump & HTR II reverse.

I'm a part time poster on that forum :big_smile:http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fusetalk/forum/index.cfm?forumid=11

Well lets see! I've run the Snake twice, Deschutes, Columbia, Willamette, 2 sections of the Colorado with 3 to go! :big_smile::wink:LOL And a couple others!

Here's a shot out the back in the Easy Stuff--lol

Attached Files:

18. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey bob would that be were the snake come from in ur screen name, running the snake . I like it:cool2: got a ??, whats more hairey going up the big water er coming down, man i think it would be coming down, stuff ur bow in to a big rock and i would think kiss ur hiney good by:confused2:

19. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Yep!, coming down is, or can be more technical. Being able to read the water, and pick your lines is a Must! :smile2: Some water you must Power Down, Some, you just float and go with the roll!

Stuffin the bow don't mean much with these boats--A Bow dipping vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pmyStx_fM

The Storm has--and maybe most Custom Welds--3" Scuppers in the bow box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uIwNjZd5g

This Video is about the First person (Gabe) to Pilot My Boat, we were in low water conditions, and Limped through Imnaha rapids--Pretty Hairy!! :eek:oooh: Because my boat was New--at the time--and he was on board--Custom Weld Replaced my engine that night, with a Sunday morning Test run with KEM! outstanding peeps over there!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_DYgTJ2_o&feature=related

One of Favorite Vids! Alaska Moose--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS4bV9NeCMI

Another Weld @ Play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1us_IAi8hpc

Big Balls! Another good Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7i1MekgOw

Hope you All Enjoy! :smile2:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana