Welcome to Virginia, now go home!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Kutter, May 10, 2006.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As part of my vacation, I will be driving through Virginia next week, in a motor home. Not in a big hurry, want to go the "scenic" route. At one point, I have the choice of driving southwest from Richmond, toward Knoxville TN. I see by the map that I-81 is the most direct route, but doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway follow the same basic route? With gas prices the way they are and only getting about 6-8 mpg on flat land, would it be worth going through the Parkway for the difference in scenery? How about the time difference it would take?

Any places recommended as "must see" along either route?

Unfortunately, not fishing on this trip.:angry:

2. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know going down I-81 there is some good scenery, but you will also get to see alot of trucks. Truck traffic is very heavy on 81. When you get past Roanoke, it gets pretty hilly even on 81. Also I think VA-Tech is having their graduation this weekend or the next. That could cause quite a bit of traffic.

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i would imagine gas would definately drop a couple gallons by goin the parkway, but the scenery is awesome, i love riding the parkway, ive been from rockymount all way up thru skyline drive

4. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Kutter... The Parkway does parallell I 81, and there are some beautiful views from it. You can get on it and drive for a while and get back on I81 rather than drive the entire distance. I would recommend the experience of Skyline Drive.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Oh ya! I went through there when my family and I went on vacation to there.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Just remember that the max speed limit on the Parkway is 45. Not saying its a reason to skip it, but you will need to keep it in mind for scheduling.

It is a wonderful ride, and i suggest you do it if possible.

:big_smile:

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Some areas of the blue ridge that are near me has the speed limit of 55. thats in the bedford county area.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks for the info, folks. Looks like I will take the Skyline Drive, from 66 on down to where I pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway, then we will decide whether to continue down the Parkway or skip over to I-85 and head south. Either way, we will have to cut off when we get near Knoxville. I can hardly wait, it sounds like it is just what I need right now as far as a scenic drive. Especially after spending several days in Washington DC it will be good to get out of there. Going to start out after a side trip down to Virginia Beach. It's been 30 years since I was stationed down there.

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Kutter I took the scenic route back in March when I was there. I didn't think I lost that much time and the scenery was great. My only regret was I wish I could have stayed longer. Next time two weeks!

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was stationed in Va Beach in 70-71. I have a house 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway on The James River. It's a great place. I love going for rides on the parkway in the evening and seeing all the animals. The scenery is really hard to beat.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm counting the minutes. I really, really NEED this trip.
    Thanks everybody.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I wanted to thank all of you who responded. I took the entire route down the Skyline Drive and most of the Blue Ridge Parkway, turning off near Knoxville. What an awesome experience. It took two days driving through. Wished we had the time to have made more stops along the way. Incredible views!

Virginia Beach hadn't changed as much as I was afraid it would have. Water was a lot colder than I remembered for this time of year, though. LOL (yes, I did brave it out for about an half hour) Lucky I didn't get pnumonia out of that. Also took a drive through where we used to live in Norfolk. That was a mistake, as that place had really changed and not for the better. I think I'll just forget we went there and retain the old memories of that area.

Thanks again folks, I knew I could count on your advice.