Welcome To Hawg City!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blade4130, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Last night I went bank fishing with my neighbor at LaBenite Park last night on the Missouri River. I was going to try close to the wing dam that you can see from 291 bridge. We went all the way to the back of the parking lot as far as you could go. I have never been there before and as we got out of the truck. We turned on our lights to find a place to get down to the bank. There was a spot, but the hill was on the steep side. My neighbor said it looked muddy as I was heading down the hill. I said no...it's not that muddy at all. Just when I said that I stepped on the bottom of the hill on to the bank. <lol> my feet went out from underneath me and I fell straight on my back in mud. My neighbor Gary was laughing his butt off non-stop telling me "I told you so":eek:oooh: Caked in mud on my backside I headed back up the hill slipping and sliding with my muddy shoes. Plus, I was laughing at myself for that stupid stunt, but I finally made it back up the hill.

I put on another shirt and we were deciding our next move. Since there were no boats that was put in last night. We decided to go fish on the launch ramp. It's paved so it should be easier to fish and safer right?

We set everything up on the launch ramp. I casted out my poles first and got them set. I then turned around and showed Gary how to put on shad and where to cast as the current is going to take his line back in a little and down river. Just at that time Gary said...OH MY GOD YOUR POLE!!!
    I then turned and saw my brand New Abu Garcia 6500tc Blue Cat reel and rod go flying in the air over my five gallon bucket into the water. I immeditatly jumped to the bank after it with one hand held straight out in front of me plowing into the ground of the concrete launch ramp. I just barely caught the handle of my rod in the water and laying on the ground with my head and arms in the water I fought to get my rod and reel back to both hands. I truly thought I had a monster "that is" until I was able to stand back up and calm down from almost loosing my equipment. Bloody from concrete burns on my knee ripping my jeans. Back completly thrown out from both falls. Wet from getting a Missouri River Swirly on my head, but dog gonnit. I got my fish and just barely was able to save my rod and reel.

Welcome to Hogville!!! A freakin three pound channel cat:embarassed:

<lol> the picture is a little blury as we were laughing to much to take a great picture. We didn't stay much longer after that as I was to beat up. Today I am sore with one heck of a scraped up knot on my knee. <lol> I hope you guys enjoy the story of my crazy fishing trip last night on the river:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great story brother. I don't know if I would of told any one!! LOL

3. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    <lol> We had such a laugh at my expense last night. I figured I would give some of my BOC Brothers a little laugh:smile2:

4. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I tell you what <lol> That little thing thought he was a thirty pounder taking off with my rod like he did.

5. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I love it when a plan comes together:smile2:

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Don I was glad you saved your rig, but I too do not know if I could have told that story. :roll_eyes:
    Also I am glad you did not really get hurt.
    I look at that place about three week ago, and did not fish it because of the mud banks. The river was up at that time.
    Thanks for the story.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol you are one brave man to tell that story hear lol glad you saved the rod lmao :smile2::embarassed:

8. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    You could have made some money if you had that on video. :smile2: Glad you're o.k.

9. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Hey, if you can't have fun with life, laugh at yourself and sometimes embarrasing goof up's then it ain't worth livin:smile2: I like reading about the huge monster catches, but I figured this would give a few a good laugh at my expense and something different to read. I am just about to head out there again for a couple of hours. This time I am going to wear my knee brace as I should have last night "I have a bum knee" and hopefully I will have something that is truly worthy to take a picture of:smile2:

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It's amazing how small of a fish can steal your rod isn't it? Last year we were channel cat fishing in my bass boat. I'm always telling my uncle not to set his rod down without stepping on it.We get bites real fast down there and he's already lost 2 rods over the side.He was getting ready to go to Canada so he had a new GLoomis rod and a shimano calcutta reel to the tune of about $600 bucks.He set it down and a hungry channel cat ripped it out of the boat at warp speed. It went down very quickly.We stayed in the same place while he threw snagging hooks on the bottom in hopes of catching it back.After an hour I was ready to give up.I figured the 7" balsa wood cork would float up to the surface and we could find it that way by motoring around the lake.So this other boat was launching and he told the guy he would give him 50$ reward if he found the rod.So the guy asked if we were using balsa wood corks cuz he saw one when he was launching but it went down when he got close to it.He pointed us in the right direction and we zoomed off to find it. Sure enough i spotted his bobber,grabbed it and realized the fish was still on it.I pulled the other way and the rod and reel came up still attached. So I handed my uncle the rod and he reeled in the fish. It was only about a 5lb channel cat.He gave the guy 20$ and the fish for his trouble.

11. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    <lol> Awesome! I'm glad he was lucky enough to get it back:smile2:

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Don glad you are alright. But you better watch it until you get that knee fixed. You scared me couple of times in the boat the other night. I want a ride in the new boat when you get it. When you get it you can quit playing in the mud:wink::smile2:. Get some drift master rod holders and wont have to worry about a goot outfit flying over 5 gal buckets! Great story and lmao. Stay safe and catch a big one little friend.

Tom

13. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Tom, you will be the first to go catfishing with me in that boat:wink: I sure didn't mean to give you a scare with my knee giving out on the boat that night, but man I greatly appreciate you taking me out. Your also right as I do need to be careful. However, I am just trying to get in as much as I can now as it will be a long recovery from my surgury. When I get that boat the only mud I would want to play in would be mud wrestling with the babes <lol>:smile2:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great story Don, I was expecting to see a pic of a 20+ lb. cat, but after seeing the 3 lber. , it made the story much funnier. Hope your knee feels better. Mine is still messed up from falling forward down the rocks at Perry last December. :sad2:

15. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry you had to endure all that for a Three pound Channel Cat, But in the words of the Late Great Johnny Cash, " You got her boy,And That makes You a WINNER!" LOL Good luck to ya and Take care of that leg!

16. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    sorry about your knee, but thats funny. you should have had that fish mounted, it would make the story last a life time.

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can relate.:eek:oooh: I thought i was the only one here with bad luck:smile2:

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    haha thats funny. im glad you got your rod back and wasnt hurt severely. just one of the risks in fishing. good luck to you next time. maybe you will get a big flat and not get so beat up and possibly lose your equipment

19. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    It really was a good thing that I didn't hurt my knee anymore as it could have easilly happened. Still <lol> I am getting a new knee, a new Patilla "hope I spelled that right" and a new metal something else. I still don't want to prolong or add anything else to my surgury. I got a real nice scraped up knee and a out of place back for a couple of days. If I had my mad max brace on like I should be wearing all the time I wouldn't have had a scraped up knee. Still, it was pretty damn funny and I am ever so glad I got my equipment back. I was hoping for a bigger fish, but it just made it even more funnier that it was only a small three pounder. I wish more than anything it was on video.

20. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I thought was bobby bear.