Weiss? Anyone else?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Weisscat, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Weisscat

Weisscat New Member

State:
    Weiss Lake Alabama
    Anyone ever fished Weiss? And whats your experiances...

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    They have the Biggest Crappies I've ever seen in my life there!!!!!!!!

No luck there on the cats due to it being a bit early when I went.

3. Weisscat

Weisscat New Member

State:
    Weiss Lake Alabama
    Yeah... Crappie capital of the world! We have a little place right on the lake and concentrate on catfish and bass. Every year it is pretty easy to catch spotted bass 3-5lbers on any given day. They hit (for my brother and I) on white spinner baits with silver or white trailers. Or just white grub worms set up jig style weedless. They like a lighter color for sure but have not had much luck with chartruse. Crank baits seem to work better with the lake seasonally "turns" between late july and early august. Then its spinnerbait time again. As far as Cats go... We are located right at the mouth of yellow creek. We have had good luck with jugs... and chumming off the dock where the deepest water is only 8ft in our whole slew. Still will catch the fire outta smaller cats. The larger cats are around the Hog Island area in the upper lake.... And of course the weiss dam when the waters on. Several 60+ lbers reported every year. and I see many 30-40lb caught at the dam. Weiss is a very shallow lake with the deepest spots being 40ft and a 63ft hole out in the channel. It only averages around 9-13 foot deep.