Weirdest thing you've caught in a casting net

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by TX Fisherman, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what are some of the weirdest things youve caught in a cast net?

for me ive caught a couple gar, some baby striper, some baby hybrids, a 3ib bass and a bunch of 1ib bass, a small koi, a 1ib catfish, a 10ib carp, alot of sand bass (eating size), and some baby carp, and of course some shad and bluegill, i caught this 1.3ib crappie one time

2. CUT_BAIT

CUT_BAIT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ~ 40 lbs of carp. it was 7 or 8 fish between 3 and 7 lbs in one cast with a 3 ft. radius net and another time hundreds of baby carp 1 to 2 inches long in one cast with a 4 ft. radius net.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I once was surprised with 5 1/2 foot of mad Gator tangled in my hand made nylon shrimping cast net.It rolled and tangled every foot,claw and tooth it had in my net.I lost over a hour of the tide that night getting it out by my self while doing the least amount of damage to my net.Good thing that I had a spare net so I could repair the damage at home.The guy that was with me just wanted to climb up on my 25 HP outboard! I think I was more tempted to kill him than the Gator.I could have killed it and saved a lot of damage to my net. I once deliberately cast over and caught a Rattlesnake about 4 1/2 feet long.It was floating along on the out going tide over a mile offshore.I spotted it while I was returning from chasing Mackerel offshore and felt sorry for it.On our Spring Tides you find all kinds of things washed out to sea,including fishermen with broke motors and short anchor ropes.That blame snake surprised me by managing to crawl out of the net and kept crawling around the boat until I flipped it out near the shore of a marsh Island.That was another one and only "last trip" with a "fishing buddy" who had invited himself along on a trip.He stayed up on the bow of the boat until I threw the snake out.Strange things at times in that water.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    oh lets see, carp up to about 5lbs, a 3lb spoonbill, 30 2" crappie in one throw, a 5lb flat head. would have to say the weirdest was a pair of snappin turtles that were none to happy.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i caught about 6lbs of cig butts in one throw behind lake waco spillway the other day!
    they must have been caught up in small whirlpool and covered by the foam

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    a big ole buffalo.

7. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    i caught 2 striped bass that were about 15# ea in time in one cast and the same night i caught about 20 catfish that were about 1-3' long the littles suckers took me about and hour to get them all out.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I caught a car stereo that tore up my net lol.

9. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i caught my buddy when i first started using one

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Caught a ten speed bicycle once. Did not cast again, afraid I might find the owner:eek:oooh:

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Aside from numerous species of non-bait fish, my buddy pulled up a Richter anchor once. It had a bent tine but I straightened it out and still use it all the time. That was a nice find.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I caught some salt water needle fish in a Lake that has no inflow or outflow from another body of water except for some big pipes that pump water into the lake.

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    6 lb lg mouth, 3lb crappie in 1 throw, 2 turtles and 3 lb cat in 1 throw, crawdads, fresh water muscles a few times, a shakespeare durango rod n reel I guess would be th weirdest thing I pulled in w/a cast net.

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've caught pretty much every species of fish that swims in our local waters in a cast net. As far as strange, while we were catching bait last weekend at the local lake, I spotted a school of "baitfish" from the bank and threw over them. I was pleasantly surprised to pull up a whole netful of baby carp. All about 4-6 inches long. They made fantastic bankpole bait. I've caught several turtles & loads of little catfish. Catfish and carp are the hardest to get out of the net because of their barbed spines. Little rascals will destroy a net if you're not careful.

When I was learning to throw my net last year, I would practice a lot in the yard. I've got a 15 pound dog, who is half patterdale terrier & half jack russell. He is one bad little dude. He was a great target for me in the yard. I'd throw over him every now and then & boy would he get mad. He'd just sit there & growl at me while I got him out.:roll_eyes: My wife made me quit catching the dog though..... oh well.

On another weird note.... last year while my wife and kids were playing in the sand at the lake, the kids uncovered a whole mess of tools, a tacklebox, a stereo and all kinds of boating equipment. Looks like somebody dumped their boat over right there and lost everything. All of it was covered in mud and some rust, but my buddy took all thetools and I kept the tacklebox. Kind of a cool find.

15. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Most recently a steering wheel from a lawn mower, about 12 inches across, that has to be the strangest thing other than that I recently had a 12-15 lb carp rip right through one of my nets, I have caught white bass where they are not supposed to be, crappies where they are not supposed to be, numerous baby channel cats (pain in the rear!!!), bass, rocks, sticks, twigs, ect.

Aaron

TA2D

16. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ha actually the other day right after i posted this i caught a "bill dance" crappie reel in a local neighborhood pond, and it works good....

17. Rambo

Rambo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch all kinds of strange fish in my cast nest from smallmouth bass to baby largemouth that look like bait no bigger than minnows, but the strangest thing ive ever caught was a free floating little under water stump that looked like a face when i got it out of the water looked like something out of a wes craven movie.

18. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have drug in fishing poles and all sorts of odds an dends to a boat, but the worst thing was a dead cat out of the cape fear river in NC

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Mine was a walleye wich wasnt rare but where he was caught was strange he was way down river in a tidal section of the Delaware river almost at the salt line which only a few days earlier I was finding blue crabs in the same spot with my castnet

20. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    A billfold that had someones drivers license still in it and other personal affects. Never did find the owners but turned it in to the local authorities. Maybe they had better luck than I did. Usually I just catch large rocks that doesn't want to give my net back.