Weirdest thing I've seen trapping....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jlingle, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    On the way to feed cows this morning, I swung by my little trapline to check traps & make a few changes. Last trap was tripped, with blood in the jaws (offset #3 victor) and blood splattered around. Weird weird weird. Usually if I have anything tripped & empty like that, coons are to blame. I reset my pan tension a fuzz tighter, and remade the set. This was just a regular set at the end of a log, that I'd put some of Caven's Feline Fix on, and sprayed a little cat pee on the backing. For backing, I'd used a couple of coyote turds I'd found nearby. I wasn't really expecting coon action, but that's what I figured it was. As I made my way back around to the road, directly across the cut milo field (and I do mean directly across from the tripped trap, like... you could follow the rows directly to my trap) there lays a coon dead in the road. Hmmm.... out of curiosity I stop and get a look. This coon has a back foot badly mangled, and I flipped him over to see a trapjaw crease on the other side of his foot. That was the silly coon I'd had in my trap!!! I thought "You gotta be kiddin' me!!!" but sure enough, that had to've been him. Nobody else is trapping within miles of me. He was a beauty. Big old boar coon. I'd post a picture, but it is kinda nasty. I'll spare everybody having to look at it.:eek:oooh:

Weird weird weird. Glad I came up with the coon though. I'm also glad it was butt cold last night as well, he was frozen solid. Sweet luck.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Wow! Thant is strange, but good that you got him .... It is always interesting to hear such stories ... then when something strange happens you aren't too surprised ...... Garry- :wink:

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh what the heck, I'll post a picture & if they think it's in poor taste they can take it down. I flipped him over and got his mugshot, with the ugly side of the leg down. You can see on his rear foot, where he was caught. The other side of that leg got chewed on, but this side is not too bad.

It was just this unlucky coon's day to go. When your number's up, it's up!!!

[​IMG]

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey jerrod, i don't think that pic is in bad taste at all. most of the fish pics on here are more gory than that. i wonder what killed that old rascal? maybe got scared to death? was he bleeding bad enough to bleed out in such a short distance? like you said, weird.

5. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats a nice looking coon you got there:wink: