Weirdest fish you've ever caught?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by FATFLATTIE, Jul 23, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The weirdest fish I've ever caught hook and line would be an albino oscar that I caught out of a retention pond.

Attached Files:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I once snagged a drum in the mouth that was half eaten (the back 1/2 was gone, eaten by turtles?), attached to a Snoopy pole, attached to what appeared to be an old pair of underwear. I kept the Snoopy pole......

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess the oddest fish I ever caught was a cabezon, off the California coast. The fillets are a very pale blue, but turn white when cooked. Delicious!

Attached Files:

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Was fishing off a bridge in salt water and thought I got snagged on the bottom, gave a good yank and cranked in an old rusty .22 cal pistol. the hook had snagged in the trigger guard. Had me worried for a minute I thought the fish were fighting back....

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    this probably dont count but i caught a toad fish in a shrimp net one time.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    It's not a fish but I caught a cool whip bowl drift fishing on lake Moultrie.

7. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    So thats a bowfin huh? Is that the same thing as a "snakehead"?

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty cool pics yall, thanks for sharing.

9. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i remember catchin an eel once on the mississippi when i was around 12.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

No Bowfin/mudfish are not the same as Snakeheads.

11. kornfishin

kornfishin New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i once caught a toadfish in myrtle beach. ugly suckers.

12. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I caught an Abu Garcia baitcaster one time, just had to clean the sand out of it and it still works great. I'm not sure what the name of it is, but the weirdest fish I've caught was in the Seto Inland Sea in Japan. They had short bills, were 1'-2' long, and about as big around as your thumb.

13. jukeboxjon

jukeboxjon New Member

State:
    illinois
    technically not a fish but one nite fishing a point i pulled out a critter to give one chills a devil dog ,salamander 6 inches long and snapping its snout

14. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The local baitshop has pictures of a piranha a guy caught out of the local creek while bluegill fishing. I wouldn't believe it, put they still have the pictures. They called the KY DNR and they came and took it away. It was decent sized, probably around 10 inches.

15. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    That might've been someone's old "pet" that got too big, and got released. I've been told that it's illegal to own those because of that.

16. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

they are very similar. but snakeheads were introduced to the USA from.. japan? i think. they will eat all the fish out of a lake and can travel from lake to lake on land. when caught kill it and report it to a game warden is what ive been told.

heres an article on them: http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/snakehead-faq.asp

read this page, its important, Do you know the difference?: http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/snakehead_id.html

17. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    the wierdest thing i have caught would be an eel. I catch them all the time fishing the james river tributaries. ive caught a few almost 5 feet long. they twist so much and tangle your line. i will usually step on there head and cut it off, then cut the body into sections. almost any fish seems to bite it. and the whole eel makes great bait when the stripers are in the area

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    A 40 lb grinnell. big nasty sucker!

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    40 inches possible yes probable maybe. A 40lbr would be so much heavier than the world record I would say highly unlikely.

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The wierdest things I have ever caught would be a channel cat in the Delaware with a sea lamprey attached that thing still gives me the creeps when I think about it. I caught a large freshwater clam on a shrimp fishing for channels in the delaware river the whole shrimp and hook was totally inside the clam then the very next year my father caught one in the same spot LOL And by far the strangest thing I have ever caught or snagged was this year. I was fishing Lake Lanier when I started to reel in one of my poles I snagged something on the way in off the bottom which turned out to be about a foot long carved wooden penis NO BULL$%&# now mind you lake lanier is 38,000 acres in size and I snag a wooden penis. :eek:oooh:That is by far the strangest thing I have ever pulled out of any body of water. Ya think maybe the catfish were messing with me???? LOL