Weird Things That Catfish Eat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GrainDrain, Feb 14, 2006.

1. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    My grandad was telling me that he has caught catfish on practicly everything from a bar of soap to bubble gum( i really dont know if it is true, but possible)
    I saw the earlier post about to basketball eating catfish, but what all have you found that they eat?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the weirdest things i have found when cleaning channels have been sticks, small rocks, french fries, baby channels, some kind of animals fur, cigarette butts (in trout also), an aluminum foil bubble gum wrapper, ....think thats about all of the weird stuff.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've read in many places that channels will hit on soap, marshmallows, raisins, bubble gum, etc. I'm quite convinced a channel will anything.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Cats will eat anything!

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Ive caught a few on some strange stuff. One year after thanksgiving wife and I were out fishing and ran out of bait i looked at the lunch boax and said to myself Self lets try some of that smoked turkey from thanksgiving dinner caught 2 cats on that 5 pounds and 8 pounds lol caught them on vienna sausages too. cheese from a cheese sandwich.

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I caught some small catfish on french fries I don't think it's all that strange I think that like the oil in them, like Carp I guess.

Catfish are on big NOSE!! I think that you just need to appeal to them. Atleast with smaller channels

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I was in on running some trotlines when I was a teenager and we would bait them with soap. The soap was nice because it caught nice quantities of fish and was easier to acquire than other baits. Vern

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have caught them on french fries, a pickle and a peach ring candy

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    a pickle? now that cracks me up lol. hmm maybe i should try some of them little onions you put in drinks.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i found a vertabrae from some animal in one. i also found a 3 '' curly tail grub on a 3/8 jighead in the belly of one. the hook had completely rusted in two.

11. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Tootsie Roll's? who knows!

12. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    I caught channels on cheetos the puffy and the crunchy kind , guess cause of the chess, I was bored and had some, put it on the line toossed it out and like 5 min later had a bite, Boy you talk about having a happy confused look about how you caught it. :)

13. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    I Ran Out Of Wax Worms Baitfishing For Bluegill. So I Tried A Small Piece Of A Leaf. I Caught A 2# Channel On It!

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Cats will eat nearly anything. I have found mice, mulberries, rocks, fish, crawfish, and some other goodies. I have caught them on salmon eggs, garlic trout bait, and waterdawgs. I landed one on a roadrunner and another on a deep diving crank bait. I guess that if it looks like food and they can catch it, then it is.

15. Biker RN

Biker RN New Member

State:
    southern middle TN
    I caught a 14 lb. flathead last summer on livers that had a 10" plastic salamander looking bass bait in its belly, complete with a big worm hook. When I lived in Ohio I used to catch a lot of channel cats that were full off freshwater mussels. Every summer when I was a kid my dad and I would fish a section of a little creek that had a bunch of mulberry trees hanging over the water. When the berrys were ripe we could fill tubs with cats and carp by baiting a hook with a couple mulberries and casting near the trees.

I guess the funniest thing I ever caught a cat on was another cat. I had hooked a little channel cat, about 5-6" long and was messing around letting it swim around still on the hook. Another channel cat about 3 lbs just hammered it, maybe 2 foot from the bank. It startled me so bad I jerked the rod and flung the bigger cat up on the bank, it wasn't even hooked! It just had a tight lip lock on its dinner!

I guess I have tried just about anything for bait at one time or another. Most things weren't very successful. All kind of lunch meats, chicken skin (cooked and raw), KFC chicken skin, hot dogs, slim jims, beef jerky, bugs and worms of all kinds, gum, candy, soap, cereil, corn, ham, turkey, darn near anything I had taken fishing for me to snack on too!