weird runs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 27, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i missed alot of flats , id be in freespool, my cliker would go off and then id engage the reel but they would not run wen i engaged the reel just tugged, missed em all what shoulds i of done

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    you lost me.... no idea what your refering too! lol... maybe its something i just dont know the same terminology for! eeecks!

... are you talking about your anti-reverse??

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Try tight lining with Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks and see if your hookup improves.

Bill in SC

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i did that but they never hit but thats what i plan on using from now

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA

That's what I would try slikk. Just let the rod fully load with a circle.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    And if that don't work for you try a quick strike rig. One way or the other should do it...W

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I gotta ask, how do you know it's Flatheads dropping the bait? Or is it just wishful thinking :eek:oooh:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d try changing the area where your fishing.Sounds like smaller fish messing with you.:wink:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you no they are flatheads...when that happens to me it is usually turtles or gar..I doubt they are flatheads.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've had this happen several times and when it does for me 9 times outa 10 it's a channel that can't get the bait all the way down and the other 1 time it's a small flat. those channel will get your clicker screamin and heart pumpin just to let you down but I'd do like previously stated try tight lining

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep, alot of time channels like to grab and go and then drop the baits:confused2:

12. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    It's probably channels hitting your bait, like other previous post try circle hooks and tightline it. Or try one of our sponsor's double hook rig, might get it hooked on one of them, it has improved my hook-up no matter it's a channel or flathead.

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/2hook.htm

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    ok had something happen to me yesterday I couldn't figure out and this seemed to the be the appropriate post, yesterday I was fishing one of my new spots and I was using cut and whole shad with a 6 gama octo circle and I was tight lining. I wasn't paying close attention to my rod behind me because I was skippin rocks with my youngest son and heard a crash and look back to see my penn slammer layin on it's side double over. As I'm picking up my rod I'm positive the fish is hooked picked it up and started reeling and pop nothing. what do you guys think happened?

14. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Try smaller bait. If that don't work then it was Gar in the first place.

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Coulda been a big fish clamped down on the bait, making you think the fish was on, then the bait was dropped and the line went slack. The hook probably didn't find it's mark. Have you tried 8/0?

16. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA

i love the circle hooks but 1 guestion i have for you... any chance your using a slip weight system and they are bringing the bait to you ? it would explain why your not feeling anything.. mabe reel in til you find em their :big_smile:

17. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have seen blues and channel bring the bait you and then take off then just drop the bait sorry i am not bill :big_smile::big_smile:

18. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    slikk more then likely they are either channels turtles or gar but if you are using cicrle hooks i wont not free spool line tight line and lock your let the fish load up the rod that is what cicrle are made for

19. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    if theyre comin at you, real in til you find the fish, then start over and let them load from there. if you get really impatient, and you're positive they have the bait, try reeling down on them

20. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I was actually fishing for channels when this happened so I downsized to 6's, it's been pretty cool here (hasn't broke 78 in a week) so the flathead bite is slow.