weird idea to entice catfish?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by KatKatchenKrew, Jan 11, 2009.

1. KatKatchenKrew

KatKatchenKrew New Member

State:
    Virginia
    has anybody heard of people using those cheap cat toys with the feathers and a small pouch for cat nip in? i was wondering if anybody thought of sticking stink bait in one and maybe the colors would attract some fish? i do alot of fishing on the james river around richmond and thought it would be a cool idea.:confused2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jessie Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I imagine anything with a strong scent will bring cats in channels that is flatheads are a different story small baitfish will bring those in:wink:

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Jesse, Can't hurt to try! Sunday when I fished the eater size cats were tearing up small finger size threadfin shad. I set my gill net four times before I could catch Gizzard Shad. First three times I set the gill net, I caught more catfish then you could shake a stick at. I am going to guess at least 25 or so cats from 1-2 pounds. Perfect eating size but I threw them all back.

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never heard of that sir, sounds like it might work

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I bet that was fun getting untangled from the gill net. I hate those things.

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    What I do when the bites been slow, is take an old sock and fill it with a bunch of old bait and a few rocks to give it some weight. Then I attach it to an cheap old heavy action rod and reel, that’s strung with #50 line. Caste the sock out and fish around it using the same bait that’s in the sock. After about 20-45 minutes the bite usually picks up and stays consistent. Once your done you can real the sock in and throw it away or use it the next time. Just make sure while the sock is in the water you keep the pole its attached to really secured. The cats will hit the sock and try to run with it.

Welcome to the BOC!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jesse.