Weird day of catfishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by cantstopgrandma, Aug 24, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Me and the wifey took off thursday to do some catfishing. Had a little luck in the morning, but didn't set the world on fire. Put a few in the cooler with the chicken livers. After lunch we decided to throw some spinners for white perch. After a couple of perch, my little rod doubled over and when the fish surfaced i could see it was a nice channel cat. Now i've caught a couple of cats here and there on these spinning lures (similar to mepps), but thursday we did better with the spining lures than with bait. Caught a couple of nice 18 inchers and some a little smaller. They sure put up a good fight on 8lb test line.

Anybody else have a similar experience? Maybe i haven't had good luck with the channels lately because they're in the shallows chasing smaller fish!!

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I was thinking maybe you were catching suspended fish and might ort to try a catbobber or equivalent to target suspended fish. Were your bites comming from the shallow water of after you got into deeper water off of the shallows?

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've caught them in both shallow and deeper water using red/white dare devil spoon, the 1st time it happened it really surprized me they would hit any lure as i thought cats had rather poor eyesite and found food more by smell

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have caught a few cats while fishing with lures. The first time I was really surprised as well. Good luck

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It has not happened to me, but it sure sounds like fun! Congrats

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Matt i bet it did surprize u to catch cats on spoons ,bet they where fun to catch too

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Bites were coming right up near the marsh grass probably in 2 feet or less of water. Pitch the spinner up to the edge of the marsh, let it sink a second, then start reeling. Like i said, i've caught them on this particular lure before, but its usually only a couple in a day, not a bunch in an hour.

8. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught cats on crappie jigs while fishing for crappie. They will eat just about anything.

9. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    A lot of fun to hook a nice pan channel when tube jigging for crappie. Nice fight.

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    you aint kidding when i go fishing in my local waters for anything but catfish guess what i end up catching? Its like there following me man...like there mad cause im trying to catch a bass

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a 14.5lb blue on a small swimbait bass fishing once. That was a heck of a surprise.

12. festus

festus New Member

Early this past spring I fished quite a bit for yellow bass, white bass, crappie, and sauger. Almost every outing I caught a small catfish between 12" to 18" on either twister tail grub jigs or tube jigs. I saw a fellow catch about a 12 lb. channel on a big 5" wildeyed shad plastic swimbait fishing for striper earlier this year. They sure like bass plastic worms also. But I don't remember catching one on a spoon, Roostertail, or spinnerbait.