Weird Bites!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by vclifford28, Aug 23, 2008.

1. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was fishing yesterday and kept getting theseshort little taps.Boom boom boom and it would quit.Not big enough to set hte hook on but will definately get your attention. I was using punch bait so what could it be? Certainly not catfish hittin so softly with little quick taps and never taking it?

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    May be turtles, if you were in my area I would say its crabs. The crabs can pick a hook clean with you never knowing and if you do see it you're powerless to do anything about it.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You'll find that alot of smaller species in the area will pick at your punch bait. Like raybait said, turtles, crabs alot of times little bluegill too. It gets pretty annoying.

4. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carp, I think I finally caught the culprit! I think the range cubes I have been using bring them in. I guess its time to move. He was big though and alot of fun, just wish he was a cat!

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    They are catfish hitting your bait. Set the hook as soon as you feel any kind of bite (thump, tap, heavy feeling or even a weightless feeling. If you wait for them to "take it", you'll miss a bunch of fish. You will rarely catch bream or other panfish on punch bait and the only time I've ever caught turtles on punch bait was in shallow water.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Did you get a pic?

7. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Bobby for the advice. Who knows how many fish I have already missed. But not anymore!

8. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    bobby is right i have a lot of friends that fish with me and miss a lot if fish by not settint the hook.