Weird Behavior!!!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by DANNYfrmINDY, May 4, 2009.

1. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    OK so I decieded to hit the river this afternoon before work for some channels. The river was still up, so i backed up a little creek and fell upon a great mess of channels. They were averageing about 3/4#. This is where it got weird. As i was sitting there they would start jumping all up and down the creek. I don't mean hitting the top, but catching air. They were jumping so high that i was hearing them up to 60 yards away.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it normal? Needless to say in about two hours i CPR'ed 30 fish or so. Biggest was 6lb 12oz.

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Sounds to me like something was after em..maybe a flattie

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've never seen that,,, Saw something like that on tv,

4. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana

Thats what i thought to, but it wasn't in one spot. It was all up and down the creek. From bend to bend(150 yards or so).

5. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was thinking the same thing that Stan was, they were being chased, they might have been feeding but never seen lots at a time jumping , they probably looked like bait. Thanks for the post

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    one morning last summer Teri saw a bunch of catfish backs breaking the water, large ones heading up the creek in a school, never seen that before either, maybe a school of bigger ones were on the prowl

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Theirs a lot of bugs and insects on top the water right now especially in those wooded creeks..I bet there eating those bugs..You know you can catch cats on a fly rod...I've thrown live crickets on a fly rod and had some cats come nail them and fly out of the water..

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Muddy water can cause them to roll to the top and splash , have also seen them do this when feeding ,even come almost on to the bank

9. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Maybe they are tired of salmon getting all the TV time for swimming upstream. LOL:tounge_out: