Weird! - Bass on cutbait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by liveforcattin08, Jul 3, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    last night i was fishing a farm pond in troy for channels with frozen cut carp and shad. caught a few really nice channels. around 11 o'clock the rod tip bounced a little then went down so i set the hook and thought i had on another channel, well i heard the fish jump 2 or 3 times and was wondering what it was. turned out to be a 3 1/2 pound bass. never caught a bass on cut bait, especially frozen

2. Bass are idiots. I've seen them caught on bare hooks before. Anything with a little flash or that gets it's attention is liable to be bit.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Not real wierd Bass will eat cut bait Its an easy meal for them. We catch a few bass every year on cut. But I usually fish during the daytime. Congrats on your trip sounds like you had fun.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Ba$$ are a weird critter, they will hit about anything. They are not smart like catfish, you can catch em on plastic things. LMAO

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    bass are very strang in deed. and a blast to catch. im geussin you bait must have been close to a nest.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've caught b@$$ on cutbait tons of times. Mostly when I'm reeling in though.

-Red

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive caught plenty of bass while catfishing. Fresh livers, cured livers, cut or smashed bluegill they seem to love it all.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Whats a bass? I wasnt aware that there was any fish worth catchin other than catfish.:confused2:

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good answer very good answer.

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    looking for an easy meal and pop...you get one hooked

11. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch a lot of bass in the fall on cutbait on the GMR north of Dayton. Not like a every now and again thing either. I can sit in the same spot and catch 15-20 smallmouth of various sizes right before the sun goes down.

12. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Doubt it Too late for it to be on the nest early june is when they get off the nest. From about april to june Zoom lizards Texas rig Hit all day. Just basic it was shad a very dependable food source for the large mouth 3 1/2 lbs is a good large mouth. Early fishing before the bedding is zoom lizards jerk baits and Tn shad raps. Be careful about your moon phases in the july june months cause crawdads shed the shell and if your using craws to fish for cat bad will eat you up all night

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've caught em on cut blue gill, shrimp, shad, gut pockets, etc etc.. Even had one on a dip worm :roll_eyes:

14. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    biggest ba$$ i ever got (8) was on chic liver

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    whoa lol i had a thread about this!! it shocked me too i caught the biggest bass of my life on cut bluegill.....its weird i never thought they would eat dead stuff but i guess i was wrong!!

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I hooked a nice bass (1 and 1/2 lbs) out at the lake catfishing with David and his pal just over a week ago myself. Biggest one I ever pulled out of that lake actually! Normally I can't hardly BUY a bass outa there over a pound! Hooked it on cut gill just after dark.

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught em on gills and shad, live ones or cut doesn't matter. These are a natural food for most of the bigger fish.

18. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeh shad blue gill crawdads (down south even baby gators) Bass don't care what it is if it looks good they'll eat it. Basiclly your running down the top baits for bass. Blue gill really love bass eggs so you kinda see where this is going but if you really want to catch this time of year a berkley power crawl Rigged TN style (late night) or a black and blue jig with a Blue pork trailer ever fails

19. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    thats wierd just last nite i put jugs in my pond with cut bluegill to try and catch a snapper or to and i cought a bass speakin of it though do any of yall kno anything better to use for turtle bait other than cut bait.

20. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Most of the time i catch them on chicken liver or nightcrawlers