Weiners or Hot Dogs for Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CJ21, Jan 30, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering do winners make good bait?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    guy here on brazos river fishes and has good luck with weinners soaked in garlic powder and water.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know a man that takes hot dogs and soaks them with WD-40 and catches a lot of channel cats. Never tried it myself.:big_smile:

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    On the Missouri River I have used them with good results. However, that being said, you need to use the red skinned weiners. They seem to be the best. I don't know the brand name. I just look for the red ones.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thinks guys for the help.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tsk, tsk, tsk...:sad2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We can't always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    WD40 ? Was his weiners rusting ?

8. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've used them before. I usually carry a pack in the cooler whenever I go out. They are not the easiest thing to cast. They rip pretty well, especially when they get warm. It helps if you can put them in the dehydrator overnight. It toughens them up quite a bit and they stay on the hook better.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I went to Walnut Creek (local lake) last summer using cheesy hotdogs that had spoiled. I caught 2 bass off the bottom, but no cats.

:cry:

Guess I should have used those ba$s for baits!

Kenny

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Oscar Meyer cheese filled hot dogs have produced for me. I usually cut them into small pieces and put several on the hook, less tearing that way.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I tried twice time, I don't have luck with catfish, my favor to use chicken liver and nightcrawler for channel. chicken liver has alot juice.. or try use ivory soap. but I would try use ivory soap someday this summer.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I was running trotlines from spring till fall, I tried hot dogs a couple of times. I caught no fish on them, even though I left them on till they turned fuzzy.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I would personally cook the hot dog over an open fire and fish with worms from under a rock or log, insects that could be gathered or some type of cut bait.....just my preference.

cyas
    robert

14. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've tried them with no luck at all fishing in a river, got a couple of weak bites fishing in a lake. I stick to eating them now.

15. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    A number of fishermen here do well on hot dogs. It's deep water and steep drops with good current and they catch blues of all sizes. Personlly, I have taken them several times, but I wind up eating them and have to use shad for bait -they don't taste nearly as good as the hot dogs. Good fishing!

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I've used them on the Susquehanna river with some decent results but they prefer good ol' night Crawlers though in my opinion. Try it out, It sure couldn't hurt any, huh?

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Weiners no, hot dogs no..... But them Frankfurters do well...:hell_boy: :byebye:

18. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea they work on hot days i ahve found if not take a piece of the hot-dog and put it under a little float bluegill lovve it take the bluegill and use it for bait:big_smile:

19. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    We run a bunch of jugs at Texoma and bait them with Cocktail Smokies. Hillshire or Great Value from Wall Marcus. With and without cheese, don't seem to matter. We use them untill we get some "real" bait. Holds the hook WELL. Blues and Stripers like them well. Not Big fish...but 5-8 lbs...MMMMMM

20. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    around here they work well in ponds and lakes for the channel cats. I have never caught anything out of the river on them. the trick to kepping them on your hook when you cast is to keep them on ice half frozen. they will thaw once they are in the water.