Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Ryan89, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    When an what conditions do you use certain weights? As in for current I like no rolls an pond or small lake I’ll throw on a bank sinker with slinker slider.

ramon06 likes this.
  2. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    For the most part I use a no roll design for just about everything any more. I cast my own...up to 6 oz are teardrop shaped and any over that are pancake shaped. I cast them with a hole running the length of the weight and drill a hole side to side so I can use them for any rig I want to use. For really rough bottom conditions I make no snag weights from PVC tube, filled with lead shot.

Mozen and ramon06 like this.

3. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    I use flat bank sinkers from 3 to 6oz on a sinker slide 90% of the time. Coin or homemade shoestring slinkys the other.

ramon06 and Flat Top like this.
  4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    I dont change anything. I use sinker slides 99% of the time Carolina rigged or Santee rigged. Occasionally ill use a 3-way but thats not even yearly. Just once every blue moon. Current, no current, lakes, rivers, ponds. I like the ability to change weight on the fly. 20181214_083254.jpeg

BCT, typer181, SteveMcK and 1 other person like this.
  5. BCT

BCT Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    I use Kentucky rig, and currently experimenting with a small swivel with quick connect (not sure what it is called?) at the end of the rig. This will allow me to change sinker size quickly, and hopefully if I get snagged, the small swivel is the weakest point and will break. Before using swivel, I used to tie the weight with smaller line, like 5lbs mono, which can easily get broken if the weight is snagged.

I am also experimenting with live bait, so that is why I need to adjust my weight. So far have not catch any catfish with live bait, but we did caught a 17in largemouth bass a couple weeks go.

Flat Top and ramon06 like this.
  6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    I like the Kentucky rig too. Ive used that alot in the past and when im fishing for different species. Its an awesome rig as well

BCT and Flat Top like this.
  7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    Don't know a lot about this yet but I like those coin sinkers, 1oz and 2 ox. Current doesn't bother them much here and but gonna try the Columbia soon. Gonna stay out of the main stream and along the edges and back water, small boat! I see a lot of those no roll sinker's have holes all theway through. I put steel eyelet's on the ones I made. Was afraid with weight the lead might be hard on the line, but then again, don't know!

8. Ryan89

Ryan89 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Ryan Depoister
    No that don’t hurt cause you gotta remember most all weights are made of lead. An it’s a super soft alloy. You can take a pocket knife an rim out those holes if you wanted to.

9. cat seeker 374

cat seeker 374 Well-Known Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    I pretty much exclusively use no rolls and coins for almost everything however if the bottom is sandy or muddy and I need to grip the bottom (current) I will break out the whales tongue, pyramid, and Sputnik sinkers.

ramon06, BCT and Flat Top like this.
  10. BCT

BCT Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    I know pyramid and sputnik, but never heard of whales tongue - I had to look this up earlier. The things that I learned from this place is just mind blowing!

Appreciate everyone who is sharing their knowledge!!

11. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    As I wrote, I love Kentucky rig too for its versatility.
    Easy changing weights, different hook positions (on or off the bottom, using a line slack), good combination with bobbers, works well for both anchoring and drifting, can be used during boat and bank fishing without line tangling.

12. cat seeker 374

cat seeker 374 Well-Known Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Some call it frogs tongue aswell. They grip sand almost as good as a Sputnik... I would say somewhere between a storm sinker and a Sputnik.

BCT, ramon06 and Flat Top like this.
  13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    When fishing still water or creeks with very little current I use a flat pear/teardrop lead about 1 or 2 oz. Sometimes a little bigger if I'm using a big live bait fish.
    On the big river I use bank sinkers between 4 & 10oz for drifting and these things called surf claws
    Surf Claw2.jpeg Surf claw1.jpeg
    4 to 24oz if I need to pin a bait on the bottom.
    Always attach my weights with a sinker slide or quick clip.

...W