Weights in fast current

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dano40, Feb 9, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    What are the best types of weights to use in fast current with big bait?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dano they use the flat no rolls up on the James where it takes about 8-10 ozs with mono.If you use braid you can reduce the size of the weight.How much stuff you have on the bottom also makes a difference.I don't like the no rolls with a hole thru them when I use braid because it can fray or provide a sharp edge to cut the line.I use the cigar shaped weights with the eye on either end.:smile2:

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    On the Ohio river I use the no rolls and when I'm using braid I champher the edge of the hole with a reamer to prevent line fraying. You can also buy a small plastic tube with a snap attached for braided line and use a flat sinker or any sinker with an eye on it.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest no roll flat bank sinkers attached to a slide with a lighter mono, so when you get snagged you will only give up the sinker.
    6oz to 8oz will usually do the job.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As in most situations, the answer is, "It depends." How deep is the water, and how fast do you want the sinker to hit bottom? Also, what type of bottom is it? A no-roll will definitely hold the bottom better on a smooth bottom, but will take longer than any other type to get there. Rocky bottom? If you figure on hanging up just about every time, regardless of the type of sinker, you won't be far wrong. A slight advantage here of the no-roll is that when you give a jerk, it will tend to plane up off the bottom better and faster than other types. On sand and gravel, if you need a faster sinking sinker, you might try a pyramid; after all, they were designed to hold a sand bottom in surf. And remember, a 3-sided pyramid won't roll as easily as a 4-sided pyramid sinker.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I like using the pyramid sinker and the hatteras type sinker.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As jtrew said, it depends.... may I suggest you look into a claw sinker. They are designed to hang up and pull free. Course you will still loose some of them.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like to use flat bank sinkers. Although when using 10oz and more I find my self using reg. bank sinkers but that's because it's the only style I can find. I also use disk style sinkers.

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use pyrmaid sinker for heavy current. but if slow current, I will use flat sinker.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Bank Sinkers also work, in fast current.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A cheap way to make a no-roll is to use a large spoon as your mold. You'll have to drill a hole in the small end and smooth the edges of it, but you can't get any simpler or cheaper. For large no-rolls, use something like a BBQ spoon; vary the weights by filling the spoon half or 3/4 full as well as brim full. My local $ Shop has them for a buck. Producing a sinker of a particular weight is a matter of trial and error; once you have determined just how full to fill the spoon for, say, a 10 ounce sinker, just fill it to that point every time to make as many sinkers as you like.