weighted or free floating? juggs

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by JERMSQUIRM, Sep 27, 2008.

weighted or free floating

1. weighted

2. free floating

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    so whats the majority of you guys use? weighted jugs or free floating? im talking about fishing for eater channes. not flatheads. i ued to run a few free floating with 4-5' of drop line. after i got the jug from bert set and seen the design i used some marker bouys to do the same principle. fish a foot or so from the bottom. wich is where i have most luck catching fish anyways.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92974

do most of ya fish these the same way? or fish at different depths with drops?

this is a Q for juggers please. :wink:

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use free floating jugs . I do wonder if I would do better with anchored jugs . Lack of current doesn't help by not spreading them out . And it seems you could use anchored jugs during the day in deeper water and have some success . It has been a tough jug season this year . I understand the anchor or weight is on the bottom do you just run a dropper off the mainline for the hook or is the hook tied to main line ? if a dropper is used how long and how far above the bottom ? Last question do you allow a little slack or is line tight ?

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good Q on the slack thing. ive never done anchored yet. the leader is tied to a swivel on the main line.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use free floating jugs. I do not depend on current to move my jugs, I
    use the wind. I keep a close watch on my jugs, if I am not with them I
    am not far away. On the big reseviors there is not much current but
    most on the time you have wind. I fish 4 to 10 feet deep. I feel even
    if you don't catch fish at first the jugs drifting will come across fish
    before the nights over. The only time I would anchor a jug is if I had
    so much current I was afraid I could not keep up with them or I was going
    to leave them for several hours.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Even though I cant use jugs here in my home state,I voted free floating,Just seems like a no brainer to me,If the jugs are moving,Then you have a better likelyhood of getting fish.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer freefloating jugs because it's more fun to me, and I catch more fish that way. But here in Arkansas, you only have to check your anchored jugs once a day, while you have to constantly attend your freefloating jugs during daylight hours. So, if I want to get ini some rod & reel fishing, anchored jugs are the only way to go, unless I'm on some backwater where there's no current to spread them out. I don't like slack in my juglines, but I have had it when fishing smaller, shallower waters with my regular jugs, and I still caught fish.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Free floater's will catch more numbers of fish and a lot more fun IMO. I do run a 8 oz weight on the end of my jugs. I think it helps somewhat with a better hookset but more importantly keeps the jugs washing too close to shore. If they do stop freefloating with the 8 oz weight it's right on a ledge or edge or the river channel or lake which is a good place if it does stop.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It would seam free floating would be just about the same as drifting a boat. I would think it would be more productive.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    most of the lines on my jugs are 3 to 5 ft should I maybe make some longer ?

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Anchored.

They are easier to account for, and you can work a certain area.

90% of the fish come from 10% of the water, so free floating jugs is just "hoping" they come across fish. Anchoring your jugs puts them where fish feed and are staging.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I cut the top off of pop bottles and put a bent piece of coated wier and concrete for weights. They prolly weigh a pound or mabee more. If the wind is blowing on the lake, they still move. Just not as fast as free floating rigs. They work okay if there is any bite. Also i use pool noodles for jugs.

12. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I get to fish at Lake Eufaula in Ok from time to time and juglines are pretty well used in OK. With the info given i may try a floating jug line or two freefloating at the beginning of a cove and let the breeze take it into the cove. I like the idea of a heavy weight on the freefloaters so to keep the bait on the edge of channel or away from shore. The likelyhood would be the fish would bring the jug back into the channel on its get away. My Mother-in law has a boat dock on the edge of a cove, i might have to try that. All the local guys,it seems use weighted jugs along the channels, I see juglines in the same area everytime i am there.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm surprised at how many like a heavy weight for their freefloating jugs. I like to use just enough weight to keep the bait down; generally I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight. Just goes to show how different personal preferences result in different tackle.

14. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I fish mine free floating with a 2 oz weight to keep the bait down and keep them out of shallow water.

Most of the jugging I do is in the river and wind waves and current tend to push them to the sides so the weight helps.

I also rod and reel fish when jugging, some time I drift fish with the jugs but most of the time I anchor on a hole of an outside bend get my rods out and then toss jugs every 5 to 10 minutes, fish that hole for 30 to 45 minutes run though the jugs, pulling fish and rebaiting, then move ahead of the jugss and set up on another hole and wait for the jugs to catch up.

15. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The only time I use anchored jugs to to target large flatheads or blues. When I jug it's mainly for eater blues in the 1 1/2 to 6 pound range. There's so many of these blues this size in our Okla waters your doing a favor in most cases by culling more of these smaller ones out. Freefloaters are just like setting up a good drift line in your boat with rod and reels. You are going to set jugs out in the typical places for that time of year, weather conditions ect that you would be rod and reeling. You might have fish in a slow to almost zero feeding mood but that ninth or tenth jug that passes them just might coaxed a strike. Blues travel great distances even in one day...you can learn a lot about blues, and flats by being a good traditional methods fisherman also. I also mainly set my hooks for blues in the middle of the water column. The majority of the water I fish averages 12 to 18 feet. I'll set two drops at 6 and nine feet. During the heat of the summer there set at 2 to 5 feet, above the thermocline and deeper targeting deeper holes during the winter.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....There's so many of these blues this size in our Okla waters your doing a favor in most cases by culling more of these smaller ones out...."

Thats a great point and very true! :wink:

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As far as the problem with wind blowing the jugs around goes, I can't offer any help for you noodle users, but if you use soda jugs, putting 3 or 4 ounces of gravel, scrap lead, etc. inside the jug will keep it from blowing so badly. Also, with the line tied around the neck of the jug, when you get a hit, the weights will slide down into the neck of the jug and keep it in a tipped position.

18. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I started using jugs a while back while fishing lakes that didn't offer many choices for limb lines so I went into it looking for a makeshift limb line alternative and ended up doing anchored. After reading through the BOC though I want to try the free floating.

I see posts about on rivers dropping them in one after another and letting them follow each other down. What about on a lake... do you put them in a line with the wind or turn your line across the wind so they are moving side by side covering a wider area but with only one jug passing a specific point?

I'll trade you gravel for scrap lead Jerry :wink:

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was just curious as to what the law states here in ky. A anchored jug line is still considered a jug line as long as not attached to the bank . It would seem like a dumb question to ask the dnr but..... You can fish 25 limblines OR 50 jugs per boat . The reason I found out was IF I used 25+ anchored jugs close to the bank or off the bank it is still considered jugging not limblining . I have never limblined before so dont know if it would work the same . Just letting the cat outta the bag .

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jimmy, I traded skipjack to get some of my lead, some of which was pure sheet lead, some spent bullets, and some wheelweights. The bullets and real small wheelweights work great inside my soda jugs.