Weight Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cats gone wild, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Bubba, I have a 1993 14ft. Sylvan deep-v (15 in. transom) that I put a 03 Yamaha 25 hp four stoke tiller( 20 in. shaft) on in Sept. Even though I was apprehensive about the weight the marina that I bought the motor from said that my transom was rated for the thrust of a 35 hp motor, which is the max rating on my boat. They put a jack plate on to adjust the difference and that just added more weight. Now the water line is about 7 ins. from the top of the transom, if I go in reverse too quick water splashes up in the boat and I have a huge rooster tail when I am running on plane. When at rest my keel is'nt even in the water. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem without going through the headache of selling this motor and getting another one? I thought about putting a hydrafoil on it to try to balance out the boat but it's obvious that I don't know what I am doing lol. Any help would be great. Thank you Sir.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can try the tail and move some weight up front but don't try adding additonal weight because that motor is way to heavy for that boat.
    Be sure to watch that transom for cracks after useing for awhile. The rooster tale is caused from the motor being to high you can lower it just a bit with the jack plate.

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thank's for the response. That's what I kept telling the guy who sold me the motor, that it was too heavy. A 35 hp in 93 weighed less than a 25 four stroke today. I moved both my batteries to the front of the boat to try to balance the weight some. I may try the tail and look for a different motor. I contacted the Division of Watercraft here in Ohio to see if the marina did anything wrong by putting a motor on that was too heavy and they told me that they only deal with criminal matters and that my best recourse was civil court. They also said I could try to contact the marina and try to work something out, but I don't really trust them at this point.

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    phil, i don't know how much more room u have up front , but it is real easy to move gas tanks forward....... just buy good gas line hose and run it down the side of the boat out of the way.......

5. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    :crazy:Im going to jump in on this one since I got the been there done that award. My old 14ft fiberglass runabout (v-front, flat rear) had a 40 Yamaha, I dont know what the boat was rated for. I had this boat for about 3 years. The transom was also about 7 inches from the water. I was in some rough water on the river one day and had some splashing over the transom. Running the bilage pump. A few inches of water, and the next thing I know, Im running up the boat and swimming over the bow. Heavy engine + low tramson = badddd! Had a life jacket on. Not worth the risk, fix it.
    Craig

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thank's for the feedback guys. I'm going to look for another motor. In the meantime I'm going to mess around with this problem. I had a 93 9.9 Johnson, the original motor, before I got the 25. I'm kicking myself for getting rid of it because it was an awesome motor. But now that I have the 25, it's hard for me to go back to a 9.9. In this part of the country a quality used tiller motor is hard to find. Most of the fishermen here prefer a console. At least that is what I have been told by some marinas around here.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    if the engine is in great shape keep it, you could probably get a boat that size cheaper than finding another engine. you could just sell your hull and get another one with a 20" transom. Just a suggestion.