Weight of Sinker

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by river1214rat, Nov 17, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hey Brothers:
    Fishing on the Ohio today, found a nice barge blow out approx 60-70 ft deep. I knew my first big 'un was lurking right below me; river is rising causing the current to be very swift. I was using a 2 oz homemade sinker with the current just sweeping it away, added another 2 oz sinker which did not helo. What weight sinker would you recommend with the currents are swift like today?? :0a35:

Linda

BE SAFE

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I WOULD SAY 8OZ OR EVEN MORE. I USE 10 TO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO KEEP IT DOWN. PENDING CURRENT, DEPTH AND BAIT SIZE. I MAKE ALL OF MY SINKERS TO. JUST ADD MORE TILL YOU FIND THE RIGHT AMOUNT NEED FOR WHERE YOU FISHING.

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    We mostly use 12 and 16 here on MS River but sometimes even more is needed. Very seldom unless at end if dike or some really "slack" current areas do I use 8 oz and the only time I use less than that is drifting or walking baits. If you are going to use the bigger weights it definitely pays to get mold and lead supply and make your own. You will go broke buying the bigger stuff.

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    thanks guys; I have been making my own, but not to that weight. This is the first time I have had access to a boat to actually get out in the Ohio and not fish off of the bank. Road trip coming up to get bigger molds...
    :Linda
    :0a23:

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Linda, I was using anywhere from an 8 to 16 ounces today. The amount of weight will have to be increased with larger diameter line, large baits and greater depths. If you have a combination of all three I would recommend using no less than an 8 ounce and then you will need to "feed" the line out quite a bit. Fishing stright down with big baits and line will requre a very large amount of weight in heavy current. Vern

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've fished in current so strong that I couldn't feel bottom with a 2# cannonball. Finally just gave it up that day and went home.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Sounds like you found a good spot Linda, barge scour holes have quite a fast current seam and usually will need at least 16 ounces. Would be good to have along a couple of 18’s along and even up to a 24 just in case. Your presentation for that scenerio can be up fairly close so a lot of weight for that set up would be needed. When I go out and scout an area using the fish finder, after targeting fish will go upstream a ways, kill the engine and drift back down using the gps boat speed to determine current speed. Then go set up on them, making note of the weight size needed for that current speed. With wing dikes, barge or pillar type of structure that cuts a scour hole I will usually double the weight to fish the fast seam. Hope this helps, let us all know how you do there.

8. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Wow, I never thought of some of the sizes you guys are talking here.