Weight of sinker in the White River?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bkhollan, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I am new to fishing from the bank on the White River and I had a 2 oz weight on my line and it went straight to the bank so I put on another 2 oz and it did the same. They aren't no roll sinkers. My question is what weights do you guys use.

2. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    go get some no roll sinkers if you are going to be fishing the rivers

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a lot of play besides the weight of the sinker. Round objects roll, so if you have a round sinker, like a bank or egg, it will roll. Flat sinkers will slide, but a little muck on the bottom will help hold them. The current will pull on a heavy line far greater than it will on a low diameter line, so take that into consideration. I'd definetley try the no-roll (not the no-snag sinkers). THEN, you keep adding weight until the sinker holds or you break you pole throwing it.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Many factors play into this. I don't know where you are fishing for sure, but I do recommend pyramid sinkers. They hold up a lot better in fast moving water. Because of their shape you also don't need as much weight. They are designed to sit tight in rocks. In extremely high water I run as large as eight ounces.

Day to day fishing is standard 4oz pyramid sinker and I fish pretty much wherever I want to!!!

5. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Where at on the White River and I could probably help out more?

6. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    White River in Washington, In. It is in daviess county.

7. Whiterivercatslayer

Whiterivercatslayer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    how about those no rolls...I would PM but stupid new board and i only have 3 posts and can't PM! anyway I would like to buy some of those no rolls...thanks

8. bleeder63

bleeder63 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hello everyone...This is my first time at this site.

Also, how do you start a new thread?

9. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome aboard Scott. Just look for the New Thread button, type in your title and you're home. You'll enjoy this site. Lots of great people with solid information.