Weight of Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I was looking through my photobucket and noticed that most of my flatheads that I caught in the summer (July and August) were bigger but yet weighed less that my biggest flathead caught in May (28lbs).

The 2 25lb fish and the 27lber looks and is longer than my 28lber in May.

So the question, if I had caught my 3 big summer fish, would they be leavier in the summer or spring???? Could the 27lber caught during the summer be a 30 or maybe 35lber in spring??

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    could be , bait or food source has a lot to do with weight theres more to eat early in the year , plus its in the gene pool not all flatheads come from the same family tree thats why you see diferent lengths of the same weight

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    They will be heavier in the spring before they spawn. the ones you caught during the summer months were bigger fish but had lost weight during there nesting period. The females lay the eggs and the males guard the nest until the fingerlings swim off. After the fingerlings leave the same male may end up guarding 2 or more nest during there spawning season. So if the 27 lber. was a male it could have easily been 35 lbs.+ back in May.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Funny you should bring this up. I was just wondering about the same thing myself. Saturday night I caught a 41 inch flathead. Normally, I would expect a fish that long to weigh 35 pounds or so. This one, weighed on a good trustworthy scale, was 22 pounds. He (she?) was deffinately skinny, but looked healthy.

Are they heavier before thy spawn? Maybe they are just making up the weight now?

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    this 25lber was caught on 8-02.

all head!!!!

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    They should be going on there fall feeding pattern now to put the weight back on they have lost during spawning.

7. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I also caught one that was 25# 40in Thought this fish should have been a little bigger for how long he was

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    It depends on the time of the year, late spring most of them are fatter than pigs and also in the fall but summer they are leaned out from spawning.