weight of fish

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by on_the_fly, Dec 2, 2005.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    a fellas i posded in gen cat talk about if any one knew the formula to figure the weight of their fish. i dont remimber it an would like to know it again, an the first time i found out about it it was from a abbet salt water fisherman , so i thaough i wouls ask you too. i think it was somethin like with x girth devided by 1000 or something. if any of you know i wouls shure like to know it again. thanks fellas

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Length x Girth X Girth Divided by 800
    It varys by species. Best way is to use a scale.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I agree Troy. All the time ya spend measurein this and that, ya coulda had the fish weighed and back in the water.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Also. Knowin who you are and where you are from does have an impact on the formula. LOL! Cheap shot huh!

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    here is a webpage from PA game and fish, it gives you channel, flathead catfish, as well as largemouth, smallmouth, and striped bass. there are also two other pages with other common gamefish, length weight chart this page works ok its just a average i say 75 percent its pretty close and the oter 25 percent you would know that it is heavier than what it says,