Weight of a 35" blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by dip, Jul 13, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    dude at work that fishes maybe 2 times a year claims to have pulled a 35" blue outta norris lake in tenn on a piece of a hotdog bun. not really buying the story but curious about a ballpark est on weight.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The fish in my avatar weighed 35 lbs, did not measure the length. Just guessing I would say it was around 30 inch's or so.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have seen many 15 pound fish that weighed 30 pounds........LOL

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a chart that shows typical blue cat weights and for a 36" fish the weight shown is 23.2lbs.

5. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    For the blues in my neck of the woods I would have to say that IL HUNTER is right on the money.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    On a hotdog bun, sounds funny to me.In the 20lb range sounds right to me.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    We have a thirty four inch rule in place and they'll usually run somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 pounds on blues.. Flatheads are usually longer and leaner so i would think the weight would be in the neighborhood of 16 to 18 pounds.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last summer I caught a 38" and it was just over 22#. I'd say it's bigger this year.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    girth plays such a huge difference. sure the charts can give ya a general idea, but i'm guessin some fish are either more aggressive eaters or maybe they are just 'lucky'...bein in the right area at the right time.

A couple weeks ago i was fishin with a friend of mine, and we caught a couple channels that were within an inch of each other...around 21 inces...and their fish was MUCH bigger than mine. I think my fish was actually a little longer, but 'skinny'...while the other fish was "a hog".

cyas
    rc

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    22 to 26 pounds

11. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It would be hard to tell depending on when he caught it and if they were feeding for the spawn or not. I've seen blues that were short in lenght ,but still weighed alot because of there saggin bellies

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This fish in my avatar was 39 inches and weighted 32.5#. The fish was extremely fat, I didnt measure girth though.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I check all of the bigger fish on the guided trip for poeple . here on the potomac river avg 35" fish can run anywhere from about 18 to 30 lbs females here some are short and fat remember one not that long ago that was 34" 32lbs but every lake or river can be different.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO