Weight for Colorado river?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by curtis, Apr 22, 2006.

1. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    i posted a comment earlier and the replies were great. but i need more info. what weight should i use for the colorado river? what rig? i really want to do it up this time seeing that it is my 23rd birthday.i want to use chicken liver, because i heard it works great in the area that i am at.live bait i will try but i am taking lots of people and lots of poles. they all look to me for fishing knowledge and i have lots of ideas. i have been fishing for about three years, and it is my life now. i still have alot to learn and would like some advise on this topic. thanks

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I would use different rigs,bait,depths and weights until I found what works in your area. I fish the Red River and use different rigs at different locations on the river. Alot of the fun for me is the experimenting. I spend alot of time on the site seeing what other people are doing.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    curtis welcome to the BOC as burt and phil said the goldfish are all good on the colorado river, try to the biggest you can get, if ya got time catch you some tallapia , blue gill, or some small carp for the best live bait and hooked with a 8/0 GAMAKATSU OCTOPUS NICKEL hooks, for some 60lb flatheads, for the channels get some uncooked frozen shrimp from the store and put it on a 5/0 bait holder hook always been my favorite down there also get some hog wild super sticky blood dip bait and some hog wild bait dipper catfish worms for holden the worms you can get the stuff from wal-mart. For sinkers get some 2oz or 3oz flat no roll slip sinkers set above a heavy swivel curtis make sure you have the colorado river stamp and you can use 2 rods if you get you a 2 pole stamp

curtis what part of CA you from? do most all my catfishing on the colorado river near blythe, im down there 2 or 3 times a month, just got back this afternoon after the weekend fishing,

Hey Burt and Phill was out fishen yesterday morning at dawn and fishen were bill got the big channel when a boat came from up river and stoped by to show his catch of the nite, a 45lb+ flathead, said he got it near the cable car. man I had plans of going out that nite but the damn wind came up big time and said no way was i going out

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    "What! - A 45lb Flathead! - I'm on my way (LOL:happy: )"!

How have you been Dale? Tell my Buddy Bill that I said Hello!

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

5. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Curtis. Welcome to the BOC. For info on the colorado river, Dale (riverbud) is the man with all the wright Info on fishing the river.

Hey Dale. How everything going with you? After I got home from the river my a$$ was draging. It took me all day Wednesday to clean the boat,must of been 1lb of stinkbait in the carpet, power washed it 3 times to get it all out. Now I am working on the honey do list,I thank everytime I go fishing my wife starts a new list. Will be gone most of the month of May. Going to Oklahoma to see family and see my Granddaughter graduate from high school. Will spend about three week there. When I get back( sometime in june) should be about prime time for the flatheads to get real active,we will need to get together and try some spots down south.
    Later Bill

6. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hello Bert, how is everything going? hope all is fine,everything ok at this end.
    Later Bill

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Welcome to the BOC Curtis. Riverbud will point you in the right direction on the River. Good luck in your fishing adventures. I will be heading out to the River soon.Maybe in the next few weeks.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Hey Bill and Dale, glad to hear from you guys. Dale, did you get my P.M.? Anyway, I sure would like to get back down there before the year is up! That sure is some beautiful water and I would love to pull a 40 pound flathead out of there as well as some of those nice channels! I have some pics from our "Colorado River Gathering" on my blog. I also posted some on Berts "email thread"!

9. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya burt after seeing that thing, I think i got a fever coming on, the flathead catfishing fever, seems like it always hits on fridays and mondays lol. Blue knows waht im talken about, only thing his only hits when its raining, Thats the first time i seen one that big still kicken a$$. Dude didn't give out any info other than around the cable, asked what he used 4 bait and the dude said he had to go, man lot of help he was lol

10. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya phil got your pm, keep forgetting to put the stuf back in my truck so i can ship it from work

11. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    phil great pics