WEIGHT ESTIMATE

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 17, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    HOW MAVY POUNDS DO YOU THINK THE ONE IN MY AVATAR HERE IS, I DONT HAVE A SCALE

2. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My guess is 15 -16 lbs.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IT WAS TWENTY FOUR ON A HUMAN SCALE, BUT THATS NOT ACURATE, ITS HEAD WAS REALY WIDE YOU CANT SEE IT IN THAT PICTURE, I NEED A SCALE

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would second that... Might be a tad lighter. Would have like to see another angle.
    Scales are worth the weight in gold...
    Also next time get a girth and length measurement there is a weight conversion chart I can point you in the directions that gives you a pretty good idea.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you weigh it on a bathroom scale weigh yourself first then hold the fish and weigh again. Subtract one from the other and you will have an accurate weight.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jake that is a nice fish regardless of what he weighed. Check out the BOC sponsor, Coffey Marketing for some quality scales.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ID JUST LIKE MORE OPINIUNS, I CANT JUDE, IT WAS BIGGER THAN IT LOOKED IN THE PICTURE , WIDE HEAD, IM STILL SAYING 24

8. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish My guess would be 16 or 17 (judging by the pic). The camera never does them justice does it?

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    The fish in my picture weighed 28lbs. I am 6'1 and 440 lbs. (I know I need to seriously diet).
    I tend to think fish are much much bigger than they truly are. Just last week I saw a guy catch a Blue Cat that I would have swore was 5 or 6 lbs. but it was barely 3. Wal-Mart has scales for $5.00 that are dead on accurate and go up to 50lbs. Or just google Fish Weight conversion by length and girth. I know Roland Martin website has a program where you just enter the measurements and it will calculate the weight. Regardless any Flathead caught on Rod and reel is a serious accomplishment or dumb luck nothing short of a miracle. Great Fish no matter! :wink:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'll take a stab at it and say 17#. A scale tells the truth!! A must have for those bigger fish. A great investment!!

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sorry,but i am going with around 15 to 17 pounds.

12. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Oh Goodness! I'de say that there is a 5 pounder and I would prolly use it for bait for my bluegill that I use for bait for bigger Flats BUDDY! Dont make me come over there and show you how it is done!

13. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Well you see I am a 200lb man and this is a really big truck behind me by the way but this Flatty I am holding here is 1.5 lbs and yours looks to be a little bigger so yeah........ 5lbs MAYBE!

Attached Files:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Twelve pounds......they look 25% smaller from the side, and 25% larger from the top!!!

15. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I will say that will go about 12 to 15 lbs . I agree with someone else that said that they always look larger than they realy are. Just a fue weeks ago we cought a Big Blue Cat , there was Five people onthe boat. and we all started guessing what that fish would weigh . This fish was 51 inches long and had a 30 inch gurth . One of use said 70lbs. one said 80lbs. anouther said 60lbs well it did weigh 60 lbs . You just got to get you some scales.