weight drops

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 23, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok this is a new one i always use a three way, with a foot or foot and a half drop with a 6 to 8 leader, then i started thinking if my drop was say 4 foot, would this affect a flathead from surfacing from a deep hole to suck in the bait, since he sits on the bottem,especaly a dam were there buried in the bottem, im assumming you want the bait in front of him, if there holding, therfor a foot drop in that case would be unafective for the flathead to see it and cach it, any input, i use the three way for casting distince and reduced snags, blues i use a four foot drop tight lined,

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If a flathead finds the bait. It will not matter if its on bottom or 8ft off bottom. When there near the bait and hungry. Its going to be dinner.
    We used to catch them in Jugs suspended 3 to 5ft in 30ft of water and catch flat heads. They do and will feed where ever the bait is .
    I use in current a 18" leader but others use a longer one or shorter one.
    Pete

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats a reginal thing, they wont surface in illinois unless there in shallow water at night,that would be awsom if thed do that here but they lay on the bottem in 20 foot deep spillways and dont move so im going with a shorter drop, to get it closer to them lazy flats, there lazy, at tailraces they will not move, at all, why would they, all they got to do is open that mouth and the curent pushes bait into them,

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Gotta agree,if a big cats hungry,he won,t worry about moving any direction if there,s food around.:eek:oooh:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I will 3rd that. All cats will move up/down no matter what body of water. I fish mostly bottom because I enjoy tight line fishing, I don't like chasing my bait around the shore.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    them flatheads dont know what state they are in :smile2::smile2: a flathead catfish is a flathead no mater were you are!!! i used to fish the fox river in northern illinois and i have caught many many flatheads on bait suspended off the bottom with a river bobber... they dont just lay around on the bottom i can guarantee that!! especially if you are fishing a live bait suspended the vibration from the fish strugling on the hook will bring them to investigate if they are hungry!!:eek:oooh:

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the pos above me , what im saying is tailrace flatheads at the washout hole wont move, not flatheads in other areas, im talking holding flaheads, i know they dont move much in the day or in tail races, but in lakes or rivers they will run and gun

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am telling youu change tactics you may be surprised!!! i have caught 30 and 40 pound range flatheads below the dam here on big crank baits while striper fishing.. never be afraid to try something different!!!!