weight distribution

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by paintball1022, Jul 21, 2008.

1. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have never owned a boat but now that i got one i want a smaller car cause of gas....
    right now i have a 89 chevy blazer and it's killing me
    but i was thinking about getting a smaller car like a saturn or cavalier.... and i was wondering if i put a hitch on the car would it be able to tow my boat?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From what I could quickly find on the web, a Saturn with a V-6 engine is rated to pull up to 3500#. I couldn't find much about using a 4-cylinder to tow with, but I did find one mention of a 1000# limit. One thing was brought out, though...if you're going to tow over 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle, you need trailer brakes. Otherwise, if you need to stop quickly, the trailer is going to just push the vehicle on down the road, possibly causing it to jacknife.
    Oh yeah, watch the tongue weight, too. Distribute the stuff in the boat so that the tongue weight is not too heavy, but heavy enough to keep the trailer from 'wagging'.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    A whole lot depends on boat weight, tounge weight. What size boat are you towing?

4. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it is a 14 foot vbottom

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Before you buy anything, weigh your boat and trailer, and get two questions answered:
    1. What does the vehicle manufacturer say about towing?
    2. Are good quality hitches that bolt to the vehicle's frame available?

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You shouldn't have any trouble towing that. I towed a 16' flatbottom with a 4-cyl Subaru with no trouble at all. Now, it had a 36" bottom and weighed a whole lot less than my Lowe 1648, but I remember towing a 16' heavy duty aluminum V-hull without any trouble. It had been a speedboat, and the top and everything inside had been removed, but I had a 15hp outboard on it, and battery & gas tank inside. I towed a 20' party barge with a Chevy S10 blazer 2.8L V-6, but it was having to work pretty hard, and I was glad I didn't have far to tow it. I tow my 1648 with a 3.8L V-6 Chevy Astro without any problem; 25hp 4-stroke and a bunch of gear in the boat.

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Years ago, I used to tow a 15' Fiberglass Runnabout with a 35HP outboard using a 1973 Toyota Celica. This may not have been wise but I never had any problems and I was young enough then that these things never entered my mind....:eek:oooh: