Weight distribution for my 1648 jon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The boat is a 1648 welded jon with a 50hp Yamaha jet drive. The front and back decks are fabbed up from aluminum. I made a very pathetic drawing in paint of how I'm thinking of laying out the batteries, livewell, and fuel tank so that the weight is distributed well enough that I will still be able to get up on plane plenty fast.

Black rectangles are batteries, olive rectangle is a Moeller 13 gallon below deck fuel tank, and the blue in the front is going to be a Fishmate Pro Pro Bass Tournament Series - 46"L x 12"W x 12"H livewell.

I attached a picture of the front and back decks also just so you know what the decks are like already.

Do you think I will still be ok with this setup and if not, what do you recommend that I change?

Attached Files:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jets are heavy...keeping that in mind, you'll probably find that it is almost impossible to get as much of your load out of the stern as you need to.

I could be wrong, but I think that the weight of you, the engine, three batteries, and a full fuel load in the back half of the boat will be too much.

You may need to rachet back your expectations, and put your boat on a diet.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for your opinion. Well if that's the case then I guess I can put the two trolling motor batteries up in front of the live well. They should still fit. If need be I can just not mess with the livewell, it's not a necessity.

I'm going to load the boat up with weight with the first layout I suggest and see how the boat runs. That's probably the only for sure way to figure out if it will work. :smile2:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yeah, that really is the only way to know for sure.

I just know that, with mine, I ended up moving everything, including me, forward of amidship.

Your goal should be to get the hull pretty much level, at rest. Otherwise, you'll draw more water, and defeat the purpose of the jet.