Weight Capacity & What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by H2O Mellon, Nov 19, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 14 foot Bass Tracker I have says the weight capacity is something like 550# or 800 # w/ motor. We only have a Merc 9.9 on it, so it doesnt weight a ton. I'm abotu 300# myself. I know we've ahd over 550# of people in it. Everything seemed to be just fine.

Now I've been looking at a small (less than 14 foot) Jon boat. The weight capacity on those are less. For instance I saw one that said 550 #. Well the wo catfishermen would weight 20 or 30# over that then plus our gear. I was looking at getting it to fish small rivers, from point A to point B, then fish on the bank. The plastic Bass Boats have a higher capictiy, but I would peffer a Jon.

Can I get some advice or help. What are some of your thoughts on weight capacity? Is there ways to get the "best bang for your buck"?

2. rivercatman

rivercatman New Member

State:
    Berea Kentucky
    i go about 330 i fish out of a 1648 w/ a 25 merc. had a 12 jon. never had any trouble.fish ohio & cumberland rivers. i'm looking to buy a 2072, just for the room. would not have nothing but a jon

3. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I never really thought that much about weight capacity until we had a mishap. 4 of us went fishing/camping, and to get to our spot, we had to make 2 trips for people and gear. The next morning when we went to leave (boat dock was 1 1/2 miles away), the motor woudn't start, and we ran the battery dead trying to get it started. There is a another ramp about 3/4 mile away, so we decided to just load everything and use the trolling motor to get there. I think the weight capacity for persons and gear was around 800lbs, 1200 total with motor. Well, with 4 people, we were at 800lbs, and we had about 400lbs of gear. No problem i thought, we were just gonna be riding a little lower. We get out in the middle of the lake, and all the sudden, water starts coming up through the seat post hole in the floor of the boat. Right about this time, the trolling motor batteries also die from trying to pull so much weight. At this point, there are 2 of us using boat paddles, and 2 people bailing water to get to the bank. We made it, but two of us had to get out and pull the boat along the bank. We got across from the ramp, still about 1/4 mile away, and a boat happen to come along and offer to tow us. Needless to say, that was one of the longest days of my life, especially after being up all night long fishing. I had to call my wife and explain to her how to drive an hour through back roads to get to this other dock, have her give me a ride back to my truck, drive another hour back to that dock, then home, all in soaking wet jeans from wading through the water. Let my experience be a lesson, try to stay within your weight restrictions. We never found where the water came in through, we though something had broke, but the next time we went out, the boat was fine. :crying:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Bryan. All I'll say is that those weight capacitys are put on a boat for a reason. Testing them or exceeding them is more than likely gonna lead to grief.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The weight capacity marker is intended to notify the operator of the calculated capacity of that boat, designed to safely carry that payload.

Case in point:

Last summer while visiting one of the local lakes in Eastern Oklahoma, I saw an 8 foot jonboat that was carrying two adults and three teenage kids. Everyone was wearing a life preserver... good thing.

A wakeboard boat dragging two wakeboarders passed within 100 feet of the jonboat. The wake from that boat went over the side of the jon and sunk it immediately. The capacity of the 8 foot jon was 250#. It was carrying over 400# of people and a battery to run it's trolling motor.

The wakeboarders picked up the family without further incident and dragged their boat back to the ramp for them. Sure, the wakeboard boat came too close... but that's life.

Don't overload your boat. Best case scenario... It'll get you a ticket. Worst case could be a disaster.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    my tracker bassboat has these for capacitys

Max. Person Weight 685 Lbs

Max. Weight Capacity 1235 Lbs.

ive had it over weight in person capicity but i wasnt up to limit on total weight. with no issues. they are conservitive sometimes on thier weights but not all makers are. i myself find it best to stay within the limits they say a couple of pound over shouldnt hurt at all but if you get to 50+ over limit i would get real concerned. ive had to pull a few people out of the water a few times from sinking thier boats by being gorssly over the limits if in doubt dont do it.better safe then sorry.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    weight position plays alot too. i have a 12 little john i use this boat for fishing swamps an strip pit mines only . most of the time im by myself but if me an my ol man goes we exceed the weight lim but we are fine in these waters with no wakes an when im by myself i have to use a cooler filled with water to hold the back in the water because when ever i fish from this boat i only skull it so i have to be up in the front . an with a 80 gal cooler in back an me in front the water line is about 3 inches from coming on in, but i have never had a problem but i would never even think about taking it out on the lake. an im 250 lbs an usualy pack about 15 to 20 lbs of gear in it.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    My thoughts on this are that, if you play with fire you are going to get burned. Boating of any kind is a dangerous sport in perfect conditions, now if you add the 3 W's, Wind, Weight, and Wakes there is a chance that this might be your last trip out. Some folks like to live on the "edge" so to speak. I have seen the edge and decided it wasn't for me. Always stay within the limits of your vessel.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks Like Bryan and myself need to lose weight, just the 2 of us are over weight limit for any jon boat.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It has been said before and I will say it again you two kill me,LOL!! You guys are a riot!!!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dreadnaught, that is what we are here for :D Heck you should be along on some of our trips, talk about a comedy of errors :D ..Really though I think Bryan should be looking at them 22 ft pontoon boats, after a winter of inactivity we may need that to hold us up......I remember one trip last year where we decided to take a long hike that required crossing the river we fish, we thought that would put us in flathead heaven...Hot as all heck and we each had about 30 -lbs of gear we carry, plus another 60--lbs of sinkers :cursing: ..We finally got to the spot, I thought Bryan was gonna stroke out on me before we got there...And after setting up shop, we figure out we could have fished the same hole by only walking 50 yds from my truck, would have just had to fish the other side of the river from where we walked, and waded to.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You two sound like you would be a blast to fish with. I would be honored to be present for some of your fiasco's, ROTFLMAO!!!

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flathunter the good news is it is OK for the two of you to be over the weight limit.The bad news is you cannot catch any fish over two lbs!!!!!!!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Remember you have to not only add in persons and motor weight, but fuel weight, tank weight, anchor weight, rope weight, depth finder weight, bilge pump weight, wire weight, battery weight and so on.
    You'll be surprised how much the typical rigging on a decent boat weighs.

It dont take long to exceed the weight limits on most of the fishing type production boats and the PPI at the DWL on them is usually low.
    Or say for every 50 pounds you put in the hull the boat sinks 1" .
    Good ones start out up in the 400-500 pound range.

If you ever go to buy a boat from a dealer and he doesnt know what PPI at the DWL is dont buy it. Either is ashamed to tell you or the factory needs to find another representative.
    I want to know how much weight it takes to drop my hull an inch in the water.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    What a story that would make though Jim, You guys could literally say you caught a flathead that sunk your boat! :thumbsup:

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    One time when I was a kid, me and my father was at Libertyland or Orpryland I dont member which but anywho me and him sank a boat that you ride through the whole park. I was about 300lbs when I was about 12 or 13 and he was about 150lbs. I was so embarassed. I have sanked a few more since then.

17. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    man becarful get caught on a log crossways in the current an even a propely loaded boat can get sucked under with all your gear and maybey you i seen it hapen. had to go under a blow down to bring that person back up

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes we have some fun times. Too bad we live in Ohio. I'd die to live in the south, we're the real cattin is!

I think we both have found our new home, shoot some places (web sites) have told us that we joked too much & stuff. I'm glad we can have fun & add our two cents! Beleive it or not, we do know a little (just a tad) about cattin!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    :eek: :eek: Just a little, maybe, LOL!!!

20. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I second everyone's opinion regarding the limits. It is wise to say within the rated limits. There is a factor of safety but I would not want to rely on it. As mentioned, those three W's can change things in a hurry.

I know I have put my boat in some potentially dangerous situations cat fishing on rivers. I like to anchor upstream from brush piles and drop my line just in front of the logs. I am careful to leave a lot of distance between the stern and the pile. Also, I keep a paddle handy and a knife at the ready to cut the anchor line if necessary. I know I should always wear a life jacket but that is not always the case. It is not worth dying for any catfish.

Tom