Weight + bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stressedcat, Mar 9, 2007.

1. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Brothers and sisters of the BOC I have a question about the amount of weight to use for fishing with live bait. I know it probably depends on where and current or lack there of. I was thinking that live bait if alive, will swim or float so there must be some weight to get them down under. I am talking about bank fishing in a fairly constant current on the muddy MO. Same question for cut bait. I got it figured out for night crawlers.

Thanks in advance

Kirk

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish in the Mississippi around the Alton Dam. If you want to catch the big blues or any nice cats, I believe you have to fish the currents. If the water moving there is action. I have to throw at least 6oz flat bank sinkers plus cut bait. This means you have to have a rod that will handle 6-10oz weight + bait. Get a nice 7000C3 and a 12' rod with enough ass to handle the weight and bait. Then cast as far as you can and enjoy.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Kirk-
    start with an ounce or so (or whatever feels comfortable for casting) and keep changing to slightly larger weights until your bait stays where you want it to stay.
    I always go a little on the heavy side when fishing near heavy cover, just because I don't want the bugger burrowing into the snags.
    Good fishing!

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would start with 1 oz weight Abu 6000 or 6500 with 20 lb mounted on a 7 to 8 foot mh rod.

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

Tell me about your 12' rod. The only rods that long around here are crappie rods. I'm guessing they are not heavy enough.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I fish the Mo. River, I never use any less than 5 oz. weight. Even where it looks like the current is slack, it takes that much to hold it down. Sometimes I will double up on the weight. That reminds me...I need to invest in some bigger weights before I hit the river. I will be using a 7'-6" bigwater rod this year.

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County

A longer rod isnt always better. You can lob 5 oz of weigth plus bait plenty far enough with an 9 ft rod..as far as finding them if you look at tackle shops you can find one ..if not look at Cabelas or Catfish Connection.com
    I have a 12 ft rod and never use it

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If you fish from a boat, keep your rods to 8' and under. It's really difficult to handle longer rods out of a boat, and, they are unnecessary.

I use medium and medium/heavy rods for catfish in the river, all between 6 1/2 and 8 feet long. If I'm going to drift fish I'll sometimes use two 12 foot surf rods positioned to make the baits cover a wider swath in the water. The same effect can be found by using planer boards to spread the pattern.

To make things more interesting, I often use downriggers to hold baits at a specific depth where the fish are marked, like just above the thermocline in the summer.

If you carry anything from this message , let it be to set the drag on the reel at home using a known weight. The drag should be set at 25% of the line breaking test. Calculate the weight needed, then run the line through all of the guides and tie it to a bucket. Add the calculated weight to the bucket and set the drag so that the line is just slowly being slipped as the weight is fully lifted from the floor.

Do not exceed the rated line strength of the rod or the rod could be broken.

Now, when that brute of a catfish makes the reel scream, let it scream. The reel is doing it's job and protecting the rod. When the fish slows down, reel up the line. Resist the desire to crank down the drag, for if the fish is the fish of a lifetime, it may easily snap the line or the rod on the next run. Use the reel to wear the fish down and when the fish is at your feet, be gentle as you unhook and release him.:cool2:

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know about your drags but most reels used for catfishing don't go much over 20 pounds if at all. At least I have found. Also my opinion is that if your using a rod that breaks before the line you need to find a better rod.
    Anyways back to the question at hand. Live bait on the MO. I would start with an 8oz sinker and go from there if your on the bank. Your not going to have the angle from being in the boat to help you hold your bait down.

10. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Bros. of the BOC:

There was a wealth of information about the question I asked and I appreciate all of it very much. Seems like all I really need to do now is get some bait and extra weights and go fishin. It is great to have ppl like ya'll to ask questions and get great answers. I have strong enough rods of verying lengths and A Garcia reels from 6000 to 9000 BG. I'll have pictures to share I'm sure:wink:.

Thanks Again

Kirk

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Kirk, the only weight you need is to hold on bottom. Toss out a 5 or 6 ouncer with no bait, if it stays put you are set. Slap on a 14 inch shad or 1lb channel and you're set for flatheads, put on some cut chunks of shad and the blues will be callin. If the current pulls you out put on more weight till you can hang. I fish a small river with low current but I always use 5 OZ sinkers unless I need more then I go up to 18 OZ. With a slip rig the bait don't care if I'm that heavy, and the flat I'm targeting don't care either. In low current use a long leader13 to 15 inch, in fast current go with a 12 or 8 inch. Live bait rules, just keep it on the bottom. Good luck

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can find surf rods, which is what we are talking about at most larger tackle shops as well as Bass Pro & Cabelas. The main thing is when you look at a rod, check the lure weight which is printed on the rod. When you decide your total weight + bait, be sure the rod can handle it. Like anything you will get what you pay for. Good luck.