Weighing LARGE Fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Nov 7, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How do you guys weigh LARGE fish (30 - 70 lbs) ?

Hang em from the lips? in the net? sling?

2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think it is better for the fish to weigh it in the net. Just weigh your net so you know what it weighs. I don't really like putting it in there lip or gills.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    most of the time in a net.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what i like is on infisherman they say you should weigh them in a net and then they pick them up by the gills to put them back:roll_eyes: al not asmutch but youd think theyd know better. i rember when i was younger when what i fished for id use for bait now you get a hook anywere near the gills and they were a floater:sad2:

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The NET is the simplest way if you do not have a Weigh Sling! The Weigh Sling is what we use to weigh CARP. It is made from a variety of fabrics, but it has the same components on all. The handle for hanging the scales on and the compartment for the fish. Depending on the fabric, you may need to zero the scales first. I have one for Larger fish and one for Carp specific. They protect the fish and allow for better control as you Catch and Release them.

HOPPY4

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Another problem with how to weigh big fish is that you need a scale. Noe, scales that weigh up to 50# are pretty reasonably priced, but for scales that weigh more than that, it gets expensive real quick. I certainly can't afford to spend $75.00 for a scale. Maybe the answer is a cheaper, although less accurate, scale. A catalog I received this fall offers a 440# scale for $17.97; it reads in 2# increments, so you aren't going to get the weight down to the ounce, but it should get you pretty doggone close. Obviously, you get what you pay for, and the more expensive scale is going to have more accuracy than the cheapo model. Anybody that wants a link to the cheapo website can send me a PM.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If all else fails, try a bathroom scale. Grab the fish, jump on the scale, make a note then weigh yourself without the fish. :wink:

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Guys I've been fishing with do that, but I've been kicking around the idea of making a sling.. Think you could do one pretty cheaply with a blue tarp from Harbor Freight...

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Tim, head to a bass pro, or cabella type store and look for a Duck Decoy mesh bag. I got one this year that is 40 by 70 inches or there abouts. I know I could put 3, 40lb flats in it lol. Anyway I got it so I didn't have to use a stringer on anymore large flats. Just plop them in the bag, tie a stringer around the top and drop them into the river and tie it off. Then I could take the time to get the camera ready, the scale, measuring tape ....etc What I found was the bag makes a perfect weigh sack too. It distributes the fishes weight so its not all concentrated on his gill plate, and I don't have to poke a hole in his jaw either.

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like the decoy bag idea, but I currently use my BIG net and a set of "coffee" scales. Those nets dont wiegh as much as you would think!:big_smile: It depends on if you "pop" the handle off first!

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Since you're more than likely landing a big fish from boat via net anyway, the best way is to have a net with a detachable handle, so after you land the fish you can weigh it right there in the net. Then just subtract the known weight of the net from the total on the scale. I did this for the first time last weekend, and what a breeze. Wish I had been doing that more often. I used to try to get that scale hook to stay under the lip of the fish, but they would often fall off the hook if you didn't have it just right. Can't beat the net method, IMO.