Weighing and releasing big cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Alsey, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Do any of you use those weigh bags you can weigh large fish without suspending them by the head on a regular scale? Is there any material that is best suited for cats rather than scaled fish?

Thanks in advance BOC'rs.

Jim
    Louisiana

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have been weighing them while they are in the net. Just weight the net, then subtract the weight of the net. I cant stand thinking the damage the scale does to the fish. I know, I know.... some will say the net does damage too, but in my opinon it's the lesser of the two evils.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here soon im gonna make a weigh sack out of an old blue tarp, i'll post pics when im done.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Just get yourself a good digital bathroom scale ($20.00 at Walmart) and when you catch a fish, hold it in your arms and step on the scale. Then toss the fish back and weigh yourself without the fish and do the math.

Most bathroom scales only go to about 300 lbs. So if you are as big as I am, anything over 20 lbs won't work that way.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's how I usually do it. Works great!:)

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    During the summer months, i enjoy fishing for large carp. To me anything over 10 pounds is worth catching. It is very common of carp anglers to have a "landing mat." This is where you unhook and weigh the fish. It helps keep the carp from hurting themselves when they flop around!:)

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes those landing mats are very popular amongst the Euro guys.

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Wouldn't work in my house. My wifes bathroom scale would show I weighted 25# lighter holding the fish than I weigh when I go to the Doctor and use his scale!:rolleyes:

Frank

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    get a net with a removable handle .. pull the handle out and put the scale's hook in the opening .. if you have a salmon net its much softer and won't harm the fish as much as a regular net .. salmon get pretty big so you'll find nets big enough to do the job

i take out the hook and weigh the fish in the net .. pull it out for a quick picture and back in the water

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i like the landing tarp idea from euro anglers. with gromets you can hook it on a scale!

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

That is exactly how i do it, its safer and you dont have to worry about messing up the inside of their gills

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I weigh them while in the net,why handle them more than you have too.and risk hurting the fish