Weighing a Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Sep 25, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how you all weigh your fish? What I mean is, how do you get the fish on your scales? Yesterday I caught one I wanted to release but had a hard time getting the hook of the scale in his mouth, he kept thrashing around, eventually I just cut a small slit in his mouth with a knife and put the hook of the scale in that. But by the time I was done doing all of that he was starting to die. I ended up just keeping him.

So what do you guys do to get them on the scale and back in the water as fast as possible?

2. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Zakk

If I am using a scale that has a hook I tend to use the gill opening. Keep in mind you want to say away from the gills themself. If it is a large cat I will try and find a scale with a sling or platform to lay the cat on. It is best to not open a cut in the mouth of the fish unless you are going to keep it. Most fish will live but by cutting into the mouth you open another spot for an infection to start. I have heard good things about the grabber scales but I have also heard that they can break the bones in the fishes mouth if it is a heavy fish.

Just my thoughts.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just leave it in the dip net and hang the net from your scales. No sense in sticking anything into the gills of the fish or making any extra holes in his mouth.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i use a net and after he is in there i slip the hook of the scale into his gill and then i take the hook out pick him up see how much he weighs then lay em back down into the water.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't weighed a fish in a long long time. I can pretty well judge a fish at 2, 3 or 4 lbs. I'll weigh a fish if I think its over 5. Did I say, I havent weighed a fish in a long long time.:smile2:

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Zakk,
    here is good way to do it just get all you can off the floor and then guess at the rest.
    no body will know but tha Lord.
    mrsmith

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just gentle slip the scale hook through the gill way up at the mouth. The end of the scale hook will actually be sticking out of his mouth. To the best of my knowledge this doesn't hurt the fish. I ussually hold the fish a minute before I do this to let him get all the floppin out of his system.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you for the replies everyone, I have put it in thier gills in the past but the bigger ones flop around a lot, and I was thinking it may injure them. If thier is a hole where the hook went thru couldn't I also put the scale hook into that?

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Weigh sling.
    Once you tried one you won't leave the house without it.
    Will

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    just pop a hole under his bottom jaw as soon as you get him in the boat. This way you have no worries about him slimping off and hitting the bottom of the boat. The hole will heal up just fine after you release him. If it's a fish over 30lbs or so. This isn't a good idea. I've seen big flatheads bottom jaw break from the weight of their body hanging on the scale. It's best to leave fish that big in your net and just weigh the net and all.

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    You could weight the net, then weight with the fish in the net, then subtract how much the net weighed and ta daa! You have the weight without touching the fish too much.

Wheelmobile07

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    In my current profession, I use scales to weigh paper. I can tell you what approxomate pound something is, and not ounces. I am 99.9% right most of the time, up to 26 lbs (thats a case of 2000 cut sheet paper in my world).

I can only tell you that keeping the fish after you cut it, and it appeared to be dieing, you did the right thing. I plan on getting one of those digital scales with a built in tape measure. Somewhere on this glorious website, is a link to another site with accurate information when you measure the lenght and girth of the fish.

Kenny

13. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'd always hooked it under the giles! But after reading about leaving it in the dip net and doing it that way I'm going to do like that from know on! It's always amazing how something so many folks stuggle with has a very simple solution!:big_smile::big_smile:

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you everyone, my coffey scale has the "Tare" feature so I can just weigh the fish in the net, that is probably what I will do from now on, unless I am keeping the fish.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think leaving the fish in the net and subtracting the weight of the net is the safest way to do it.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I like the response from CoonX...put them in a sling...How much are those slings anyway? LOL. What you could do for all you trophy catmen is to take a poncho (or two) fasten them, put the fish in the poncho, put the scale hook through the aperture and weigh it. Or throw it in a duffel bag (just kidding)...

Vic

17. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually put the hook on my scale in the gills.

18. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hook in the gills is pretty tough on the big ones. I vote for in the net or sling.

19. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Lon and everyone is right on. The big boys need to be weighed horizonal this not only goes for cats but must big fish. If you weigh a big heavy fish by the mouth you risk breaking the jaw and if you hang the big ones by the gill plate you risk tearing it or the gills themself.

I only hook them at the gill plate up to around 15 lbs or so.

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    lol vic , i dont think they make a duffle bag big enuf to hold my fish .
    i like the net idea tho