Weigh Scales

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Golden, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well i went out yesterday and bought me my first boat. The only problems is Ohio differs from Indiana alot!!!:confused2: I have to get a notarized bill of sale for the out board b/c Indiana does not have to have a title for the outboard motor. So wile i wait on the guy to send that i was going to get the trailer in my name. But again Ohio wants the title to say how much the trailer weighs but Indiana does not!!!:angry: Thought i did enough research but i guess you can never do enough. So now im trying to fined a weigh scale some where around a body of watter in cincinnati, east fork area so i can take the boat off the trailer to get it weighed. So does anyone know of some where i can go?

2. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any local feedmill like landmark will have a certified scale and for asmall price will give you a weigh slip.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    in arkansas they want the capicity of the trailer not the weight. are you sure thats not what they are talking about. i registered mine as a 1500lb capacity boat trailer. and as for a bill of sale i always write mine out in the other persons name. (might call and ask for his permission first) sure saves alot of time trying to run sombody down.

4. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No i went to the BMV any the want the weight of the trailer. lol i don't know y but they do. they don't care what the trailer is rated for.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jason, I don't know how they are over in your county. But here in Gallia County the past 3 boats I have bought I had to take in a paper with a pincil rubbing of the serial number of both boat and Motor (pincil rubbing+ peice of paper over the serial number plate and rub pincil across paper so it shows the number) on the motor they will take a picture if you can convince them that the number plate is printed and not stamped. I don't know if this practice is state wide or if I just pissed the people of at the deputy regerstra office. BTW congrats on the fishing machine, post some pics.

6. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Will do i will post some tonight. ya the trailer has a plate but i already tryed the pencil trick but the plate is so beat up it didnt work and i cant read it lol

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    As someone else mentioned, just take the trailer to some place that has a scale. Truck stops are usually a good choice. But, you might want to unload the boat first. Otherwise, the tags can cost you more, because of the total weight.

Sad, yet funny, story: A buddy bought a used boat at a good deal. Needed to get the trailer weighed, to get his tags for it. Took the boat to Buckeye Lake to unload, and then proceed to the nearest truck stop with a scale. Before he got to the water to unload, a Millersport policeman pulled him over and gave him a ticket, for no tags. Pretty lame if you ask me. I wonder how the cop though one would get the tags, if they are unable to travel and get it weighed?

I bought my boat in 1992, new. The dealer took care of everything for me. I have no personal experience with the seperate motor thing. Mine is a i/o and would be a pain add on later. :)

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I know that trash dumps have scales an also the gravel pits have em. Might even have them at the asphalt plants.

9. gbfrobe

gbfrobe New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have an Ohio Highway Patrol weigh station nearby (you should being close to the border) just take it there, they will do it for free and give you a weight certificate.

I'm talking about the ones on the highway that truckers have to go into as they enter the state. You can call the highway patrol office and they can tell you where the closest one is.

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    When I did one last year I had to go to the BMV and get their weight slip, One from the scale place wasn't good enough. Might want to call and check on that before having to weigh it twice.

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    we just did my dads boat saturday.he dropped me off at deer creek and he went in town to a feed lot and they weighed it there.

12. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I HAD TO DO THE SAME THING BECAUSE IT WAS REGISTERED FROM A NOTHER STATE.

13. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF YOU PICK UP A BLANK WEIGH TICKET ,THEN PROCEED TO A SCALE TO WEIGHT THE TRAILOR YOU ARE LEGAL TO DRIVE THERE WITHOUT PLATES.
    SHOULD OF FOUGHT THAT TICKET..

14. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF YOU GO TO A SCALE THAT WEIGHS BIG TRUCKS LIKE A LAND FILL, SLAG YARD, GO IN WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITH ALL THE CRAP IT TAKES TO GET THE PAPER WORK DONE JUST SO U CAN GO FISHING, YOU MAY END UP WITH THE WEIGHT AND AND NEVER PULLED ON THE SCALES OR EVEN HAD THE TRAILOR WITH YOU. THE GIVE THE NICE PERSON A TIP OR A COLD DRINK, SOMETIME IF YOU ASK REAL NICE ,THEY WILL HAND YOU A SCALE TICKET WITH ALL THEIR INFO ON IT AND YOU GO HOME AND PUNCH OUT THE HOLE BESIDE THE WEIGHT U WANT IT TO SAY.. IF YOU CANT FIND OR READ THE SER. NUMBERS ON THE TRAILOR, YOU MIGHT TRY FOR A HOME MADE TRAILOR TITLE.
    OR CALL THE MANUFACTOR OF THE TRAILOR AND SEE IF THE CAN TELL U WHAT THE TRAILOR SHOULD WEIGH AND IF THERE IS A NOTHER LOCATION FOR THE SERIAL NUMBER STAMPED SOMEWHERE ELSE.
    WOW THATS A LOT OF TYPEING:crazy: