weght drops

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 2, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how long should your weght drops be for flateads, and also for blues if you use this methed, this pertains to people that use the threeway rig, not the caralina

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Mine usually are 12-18 inches long. Just whatever they end up being after tying all my knots.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if your dros are to short will it affct the bite

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I run both the Carolina and the three way rigs...

To your question, I run usually 4 oz pyramid sinkers about 12-14 inches with 15lb test break away line. My hook line is usually about an inch or 2 shorter then the sinker line...

I run the hook line shorter because I have found it to do a couple of things:
    1) The hook and sinker don't get as tangled as often in the water
    2) it allows the sinker to hook up and keep the bait floating
    3) If the sinker is hooked up in rocks and the fish hits the bait, the sinker breaks away easier!!!

Tight lines brother, Hope this helps

You might also want to play around with the lengths a little, what works for me in my fishing conditions may not be productive for you...

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
  6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I like the one pictured in the middle Ray. Seems like even if you cast straight out into a pile of rocks your bait and hook will still be presentable. I use that same rig but 10-12lb. mono to sinker, 100 lb. main and hook line, and I prefer a 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook.

My experience with hook lines is this, the longer they are the more I get hung up. Especially on riprap. The short hook lines are harder to tie but really seem to make a huge difference.