WEGHT AND SCALES DECIVING

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    OK THE FIRST PIC WEGHED 40,POUNDS ON A BATHROOM SACALE , MY SECOND PB WICH IS 2 TIMES AS BIG WEGGHED SOMWERE IN THE 45 50 RANGE ON A WALMART HOOK SCALE, ,WHATS WRONG HERE,LOOK BELLOW COMPAIR

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That one looks 40ish to me! You need to get some digital scales. I am currently using the Berkley digital scales, and they seem quite accurate. The Wal-Mart spring type scales are not too good. I went through a couple of those before I got the digitals. BTW: I got the Berkley digitals at Wal-Mart too. Just keep them dry, and with a fresh battery, and they work real good!

Bill in SC

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I'm like Bill, get a good set of digital scales . That or check into a good set of spring scales. Theres some out there that works great.
    I would also say anywhere from 40 lbs to 45 lbs looks thick so it may be a little better.
    Stick a 10 lb bag of sugar in a bag weight it with your scales and see how close they are with that. Then add one more 10 lb bag and see if there still close.
    Pete

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Looks like it was full of eggs. Was it released?

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it was released but unfortunatly in a larg creek, had to bring him home, then threw him in a bigger creek

6. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A cheap tape measure is all you need:

Length x Length x Girth/1275 will get you within 2 pounds. Most cases even closer than 2.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the first pic you are refering to is your avatar, then I don't think that fish is a 40. It looks more like 25 or there abouts to me. For the flathead in the other pic, 45 to 50 sounds just about right to me.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like your formula a lot better than my scale! :big_smile:

My last good fish was 49" long by 32" girth. Your formula puts this fish at 60 pounds. My scale only said about 51.

I have always suspected that my scale was reading a bit light, but when ever I have tested it with known weights it reads right on. It is a spring type scale, but a really quality one. Maybe it has something to do with trying to weight fish in a boat. It's a lot harder to get a good solid reading on a fish that on a bucket of water (that's what I have used for tests, usually).

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It all depends on what river you are fishing and part of the country.

The invasive flats out here and nice, fat and long because of the abundant of forage they have.

Most digital scales will get right within a few pounds.

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I can pretty much guarantee that a 49x32 is much bigger than 51, and is most likely a 60lber or very close. I caught a 48x32 last year that was 57lbs.

The formula I mentioned has been tested on literally hundreds of fish by dozens of people. It is pretty darn consistent.

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i also use berkly ditial scales wish they were 100lb instead of 50:eek:oooh:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lets put it this way, i got my avatar now with a bluecat 15 pounder, but that 50 pound flathead, broke my walmart scale, and it read 45, then bouced to 50 then 40, but by looking im safe to say i got a 50 pounder, maby afew piounds less but i dont feel like a kliar wen i say 50, pounds, i preser to use a bathroom scale and then add the fish to get the true weght, them walmart scales read lighter by 5 to ten pounds, sometimes and the hook bent on it then it just fell into junk,, so use a bathroom scale ether a needle one or a good didital, i like the needle ones