Weeki Wachee Wildlife preserves

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by Georgiaboy, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hiya guys im from Georgia and go to Weeki Wachee every summer.
    I have noticed some new things happening there.
    For starts, the number of fish in the canals over there have increased in size and number. (Most things still barely over a pound). This includes, Sheephead, Gar, Mullets, Blue Catfish and Rainbow Trout. Sometimes even large Salt water fish come in.
    Anyways im just here to tell you guys to check this place out! There are three main areas to fish.... The canals, the river, and the resevoir. The river is probably the clearest source of water during lowide but the reservoir has all the cats! (not too much by the way).
    These waters are a great place to take your kids when they first start fishing. Plenty of fish so check it out.

2. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    A few more things about this area. Your NOT going to get bites every time you cast. Not gonna guarantee you will get a nibble for the canals are SLOWLY growing. i remember this summer i saw a good couple og good sized Gar, about 3 lbs. each under a tree in the shade. That was deep in the canals by the way.
    Your best option on the means of bait is frozen shimp/squid. I have had 1 bite on it in the canals (Dont get too much in there)! Which was the gar i mentioned earlier. However that was my rod i use at home (stupid of me) and i didnt have a steel leader on it so he got away. One more thing! Be mindful of the manatee. It is a wildlife preserve so when you catch em, please throw em' back. =) It would be against the law to keep those little things anyways.
    One more thing again,,,,,Baby manatee in the water have a similar body to that as the blue catfish so if your trying to pick off its path, make sure you aint fishin for baby manatees.
    Last thing...lol...All fish in the canals and river are moving AT ALL TIMES (no joke), so make sure you cast about 20 yards or less in front of them so you can pick off their trail. Another thing folks, it is not wide nor it is a snag free area so make sure you know what your doin. =) Grab a small boat (i used a kayak), and go to the reservoir and go down the river during low tide so you can monitor fish activity. If its not low tide on the river then you might as well go into the ocean or the reservoir.
    YET AGAIN...as this pops up in my head. Im gonna give you some directions to navigate through the river. Canals are pretty manageable. Well when the river merges with the canals keep going in the direction AWAY from the reservoir. From then on you will find an artificial beach. TURN RIGHT! Head for the bridge unless if you know the area well enough to turn left. Once you pass the bridge keep moving along and after good bit the clearness of the water will dissappear until you get closer to the ocean. When you wrap around the last house, thats when you should stop because that is the wake zone and you will be crushed by boats twice the size of you. Now i just took a look at mapquest and the best idea would be to get off at Rogers Park. (With Kayaks), or find someone whose willing to let you use their boat ramp. Theres many boat ramps and the community is well rounded so dont hesitate to ask!Because The area in which i talk about is in the rogers park area. Rogers Park by the way is the artificial beach i was mentioning by the way. If you dont have Kayaks then you cannot get off at rogers park. Several houses have boat ramp. They probably will let you if you are not a local. Also. The entire river is NO WAKE i believe so if you start at the reservoir it may take about an hour according to mapquest. Just look up Rogers Park, Weeki Wachee, FL on mapquest and you can get a better view of the area.

3. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Hi Jeff;
    Tx's for the info.
    Doubt I'll ever get over there to fish that area (Did fish Homosassa one time).
    I do like that area though.
    Welcome to the forum !
    Danny

4. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    yeah once you get off of Cortez Boulevard and into the canals... the whole enviroment chages. The river is beautiful and clean and the place looks just great. The area is very nice. Everyone in the Brooksville area or within an hour of there should try it. It is a great experience truly just based on the fact that the enviroment and the people all add up to max out the experience. I sometimes get conversations going with the people there. Thats how cool everyone is. Well thanks Florida for listenin. When I come down to the Wachee for Thaksgiving i believe i will update you guys on my endeavors. Good luck guys and happy fishin!
    -Georgiaboy