Weekend Update Calaveras/Braunig

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hillcountryfishin, Dec 2, 2007.

1. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    What a weekend. Fished friday morning with Chuck Dewey , universal city, and Chuck proposed the challenge I don't fish any spots or areas we had previously fished in the past year. Chuck and his brother, Tommy, been fishing with me for a long time and know just about all the tricks in my bag. I liked the idea of it and so we set out to give it a whirl. Wasn't easy and we worked at it but we found 24 channels and 1 blue before noon and nicknamed a new area Cat tail ridge, in return. Good overcast morning, water temp 64 degrees and pretty strong east wind. Found most of the fish on small drop offs in about 4 ft of water then later in about 1.5 of water.
    Thanks Chuck and enjoyed the challenge and the morning.
    Chuck25fish.jpg
    Friday evening I fished with Steven on Braunig. Started out a bit slow but turned on in a major way before sundown and just after. Steve caught some 2 beautiful channels going 8 lbs and 8 lbs 14 oz at around 29 inches long each.Lake record channel is 8 on the dot (Tom Dewey set it in Sept), so I wasn't too sure with the first fish but second one dfeintely had it , if steve wanted it.But Steve said he preffered the fillets and action right then. Can't say I blame ya. Beautiful fish and lot more fun to watch him reel them on in 1.5 ft of water. Even when the smaller guys where whacking it in that shallow water,they hammered and thrashed their way to the boat. Steve had several fish go "airborne" once they got hooked and made their way to the boat. Awesome evening and thanks Steve.
    Few pics
    Steve1st8.jpg
    SteveCatch.jpg

2. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    A few more of Steve and even I had to get in on some camera time with these nice channels.
    Steve8lb.jpg

Cliffbigchannels.jpg

3. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Saturday Braunig
    James & Wesley McCahlan.
    High winds really limited the areas we could fish today with young wesley. I gave it all I had and then some but the fish just weren't happening for us. We ended up with 1 fish, yes one fish. However it was Wesley's fish and his biggest channel cat of his life and good enough for the Braunig Lake Junior Angler Record at 3.8 lbs when I got it certified yesterday afternoon. I've never caught just one fish on any trip, but it's funny how things get put into perspective for you when you sometimes lose sight of what it's about. FUN and getting outside.(even if it is white capping..lol) Wesley reminded me of that all day while we were out and back at the ramp. Truly a remarkable young man and his smile says it all.
    Congrats Wesley, I'm proud of ya bud!
    Wesley Pic
    WesleyYouthRD.jpg

WesleySmilingYouthrecordfish.jpg

One more report.
    After we called it a day on saturday and went to get wesley's fish taken care of , I got to thinking. It was bothering me from the reuslts of the morning and I was determined even more so to find em'. I launched the boat again and headed out.
    Caught 40 fish from 2-4pds from 1230-300, keeping 25 for the freezer.
    I guess this is why it's fishing and not catching, same conditions and one of the same areas we tried earlier in the day.
    I dunno.
    Side note lake is down at least 4 ft. Be very careful motoring around. Lots of rocks just underneath the surface. However, it's a good time to get out see structure near the bank and take note for the lake rises back up.

pic
    CLiffBraunigStringer.jpg

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey there Cliff,
    We were out @ Braunig last Friday night, got real windy @ 1 point and had to douse our fire. My son & b-i-law had a couple of good rod benders but didn't catch anything, thinking we're not doing something right (hooks, bait ) we used DK's and chicken livers. The folks next to use were puling them in left and right and sometimes just as the bait hit the water!

Ruben

5. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Ruben, it's hard to say with out some info on how you were fihsing the punchbait. But I know just what your talking about and sometimes it's just fishing. Happened to me on saturday with guests then I got plum mad at them fish and went out determined to find them and did.
    Give us somemmore info and maybe I can help ya out over the net.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    great lookin stringers there cliff, glad to see u got some time in urself

7. gonzo1

gonzo1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like tons of fun cliff!

8. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
  9. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
  10. jeffnsa

jeffnsa New Member

State:
    texas
    hey cliff, do you ever fish for crappie or pan fish after you catch your limit? a good catfish fry with some crappie fritters sound good.

11. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Jeff, I love the sounds of that! Unfortunately , there aren't any or any we've seen in years at the lakes we fish. (crappie) panfish, absolutely exists. Might be a good idea to try it out. Thanks!:wink:

12. jeffnsa

jeffnsa New Member

State:
    texas
    at calaveras crappie are at the bridge and at braunig they are at the dam? the guadalupe has some nice spots when they are spawning at rebecca creek and the mouth of canyon lake and the guadalupe among the tree stumps. i don't have a boat but have been with others on their boats at these places and caught crappie.

13. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
  14. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Weekend up date in guide section of BOC.....
    Ruben...saw ya yesterday out there....You and Kevin...Awesome job spending the day with your boy wettin' a line!

15. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Latest report under guide page on same link as above.
    Tight Lines
    Cliff

16. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Great report Cliff. Glad to see you putting those kids on some fish. You put a few smiles on their faces as well.

17. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Thanks Bobby, Looks like yall had an outstanding weekend catching them big blues...WTG !