Weekend Trip Down The Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Mizzbigcat, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I am in the planning stages of a weekend trip down the Ohio River with my 9 year old daughter, and my BF, on his 20' flatbottom boat.

I would love to fish the tributaries starting at the Scioto, to the Muskigam.

Any tips, tricks or advice would be more than welcome.

I am here to pump your brains for information ya know!

Thanks brothers and sisters!
    Ya'll are the best!

ANge :cool2:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With all the snow we received, the melting will cause a lot of flooding with a lot of debris floating down the river. You may want to postpone your thumping on skip for at least another week. JMO!:wink:

3. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Don't worry, we arent going till late April or May.

These things take planning my dear!

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Definatley be worth the trip, i hope you guys do well and stay safe. I cant chime in on much more because that stretch of river is far away from me.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    No, but seriously ANge the water is like around 40 ft right now. you gotta wait till its closer to 20ft to be safe after dark. Too much debris and logs and trees in the water at the moment.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats quite a trip you're planning in a 20' boat. You're talking well over 100 miles upstream and have to lock through I think three dams and thats a thrill in itself to lock through a dam in a small boat, I've done that a few times but I wish you well on your trip and above all be safe on the river, it can at times be a dangerous place. I spend a lot of time on the Ohio river.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    and with the price of gas at 3.50 a gal. you may wanna head down stream...... floating!!!!.... lol...rollo

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good luck and be safe.

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    angie and you bf good luck get a nice blue as well as a nicer shovelhead rick

10. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

Rollo, that's the best idea I've heard in a long time! Why didn't I think of that? LOL We do a weekend camping trip every spring, usualy somewhere in KY or TN, but because of the price of gas and how much we'll use driving to a location out of state, we've decided to use our gas dollars on the Ohio River.

And don't worry folks, I'm planning this trip close to Memorial Day, when it's much warmer outside, hopefully the water is much calmer by then.

Thanks guys, ya'll are awesome!

11. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    :smile2:Angi
    That is a very good time to fish that part of the ohio river.The water temp. should be great for fishing for flatheads. You can even fish for them in the day time and set up camp at night. That would be alot safer that time of the year if you do not know the river that well. In the spring time there is a lot of trash that gets pushed into the river.
    When you get into the the Racine and the Bryd pool take your time and fish hard. I really believe the next state record flathead might come out of one of these two pools. When you are in the Byrd pool and you get to Point Pleasant go up the Kanawa river. This goes into WV. and your ohio fishing license is good all the way up to the first damn.There are some very nice flatheads in this river.
    When you get close to Porstmouth start trying to fish for the blues you just might be surprised how big they get in this pool. If you are planning on going up the Scito river it is very shallow at the mouth going into the ohio river.
    The river this time of year can be a blast but don't forget this is also a very dangerous time of the year also. You will have floating logs you can and can't see and the barges dont move for you anytime time of the year.Becarefull and have a blast.
    Steve Searl
    www.skipperrods.com

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Catfish 361
    Thanks for all the valuable info included in this post. I hope to apply some of it and try for that flathead record in months to come. Thanks again!

nothing wrong with dreaming