Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of a weekend trip down the Ohio River with my 9 year old daughter, and my BF, on his 20' flatbottom boat.

I would love to fish the tributaries starting at the Scioto, to the Muskigam.

Any tips, tricks or advice would be more than welcome.

I am here to pump your brains for information ya know!

Thanks brothers and sisters!
Ya'll are the best!

ANge :cool2:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
With all the snow we received, the melting will cause a lot of flooding with a lot of debris floating down the river. You may want to postpone your thumping on skip for at least another week. JMO!:wink:

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
No, but seriously ANge the water is like around 40 ft right now. you gotta wait till its closer to 20ft to be safe after dark. Too much debris and logs and trees in the water at the moment.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thats quite a trip you're planning in a 20' boat. You're talking well over 100 miles upstream and have to lock through I think three dams and thats a thrill in itself to lock through a dam in a small boat, I've done that a few times but I wish you well on your trip and above all be safe on the river, it can at times be a dangerous place. I spend a lot of time on the Ohio river.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and with the price of gas at 3.50 a gal. you may wanna head down stream...... floating!!!!.... lol...rollo

Rollo, that's the best idea I've heard in a long time! Why didn't I think of that? LOL We do a weekend camping trip every spring, usualy somewhere in KY or TN, but because of the price of gas and how much we'll use driving to a location out of state, we've decided to use our gas dollars on the Ohio River.

And don't worry folks, I'm planning this trip close to Memorial Day, when it's much warmer outside, hopefully the water is much calmer by then.

Thanks guys, ya'll are awesome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
:smile2:Angi
That is a very good time to fish that part of the ohio river.The water temp. should be great for fishing for flatheads. You can even fish for them in the day time and set up camp at night. That would be alot safer that time of the year if you do not know the river that well. In the spring time there is a lot of trash that gets pushed into the river.
When you get into the the Racine and the Bryd pool take your time and fish hard. I really believe the next state record flathead might come out of one of these two pools. When you are in the Byrd pool and you get to Point Pleasant go up the Kanawa river. This goes into WV. and your ohio fishing license is good all the way up to the first damn.There are some very nice flatheads in this river.
When you get close to Porstmouth start trying to fish for the blues you just might be surprised how big they get in this pool. If you are planning on going up the Scito river it is very shallow at the mouth going into the ohio river.
The river this time of year can be a blast but don't forget this is also a very dangerous time of the year also. You will have floating logs you can and can't see and the barges dont move for you anytime time of the year.Becarefull and have a blast.
Steve Searl
www.skipperrods.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.