Weekend on the Rough

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by vlparrish, Mar 4, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I spent the weekend fishing Rough River Lake with my dad. We caught about 50 crappie Saturday in the cold, wind, and snow. Of the 50 that we caught we kept 8 that were a good solid 9 inches plus. The 9 inch limit is good in a way. But I feel that it tends to make the majority of the fish smaller. It is rare that me or anyone that I know catch a full creel of legal size crappie. By taking all the big fish, the ones that are left are smaller either by genetics or by stunted growth. I feel that in years to come catching a legal size crappie will be a thing of the past in Rough River Lake. Vern

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well bro is dad gonna replace me as your new partner :lol: i will be lucky to get to fish much with all the hours iv got to put in hope fully when it warms up and i dont have to work all day in the cold i will have more energy to maybe do some night fishing

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    where were you guys fishing on rough? i don't really believe your grim assesment of the lake. both of the lakes( rough and nolin) go through good and bad years as with most lakes i suspect. i was curious as to where you guys were because that might have been part of the problem. seems the bigger fish are caught in different areas of the lake at different times of the year. anyway enough crappie talk, why didnt you guys go after some those big ole rough river channel cats?!? i'm telling ya this lake is loaded with some very nice channels and with all this high water you coulda wore em out. i have not gotten to go this year due to a new job that has kept me working for over a month straight and i sure miss hittin those channels. shoulda put a hook in some of those small crappie and used em for bait. oldtimers tell me they are the best bait in the lake! i know, i know, it's illegal but it shouldnt be.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cattoo, I wanted to do some catting, but we were on the bank because of the bad weather and the only shad I got were the winter killed ones that were starting to go south. If I had been in my boat I would have gotten some fresh shad and maybe solely fished for cats. I will target them on the rough at least once this summer. Keith, we caught 200 crappie a few years ago and less than 2 dozen were legal length. That lake hasn't produced well for crappie of size for me in a long time. Others may do well, but I haven't. Vern