Weekend on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by HOPPY4, Oct 22, 2007.

1. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    This weekend, I had the Pleasure of fishing with two old friends and two new ones. Newt and Budgie, I had fished with before and this rekindled memories. Andrew and Todd were the New Commers. They made the journey to fish this special place! The Capital of the USA is and should have this Repuutation of Carp Captial as the fish are plentiful and Very Strong. Budgie and his brother Andrew are from Great Britan and having them over has been a JOY! Newt is from Concord, N.C. and played host to them before their trip up to visit. Todd is from Roanoke, VA. and meeting him was a Bonus that played Well with the group. All of these men are members of another forum that I am a member as well. We had 12 Carp/6 Goldfish/9 Catfish on the shore. We had 9 fish that were Lost due to Breakage/Cut-Off/Hook Pulls. The Largest fish over the period was 16lb. and the Smallest was 1lb. with many in between. We had a Great time, but unfortunately the Englanders faile to catch Carp on this trip. Yet all members caught fish!

HOPPY4

Attached Files:

2. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Fish of the weekend!!!

Attached Files:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for sharein the story. So wheres the fish pics? LOL!

4. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    A few more for the weekend!

Attached Files:

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Just a Few MORE!

Attached Files:

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    These are the Last one for Posting!

Attached Files:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now thats what I'm talkin about James. What do ya use to get em up the wall and over the rails? Looks like a bit of distance to the water.

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    katfshn50, I have a Long handle that i used when I was in Germany for a Sink Net! It is over 12 ft. long. I purchased an adapter from one of the Carp gear firms and was ready. THANK yOU FOR THE COMMENTS.

hoppy4

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Carpin in Great Britan is almost a religeon isn't it.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish, Hoppy.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    katfshn50, The Brits are more Traditionalist when it comes to CARP! They have fish that are NAMED and protect them so that others may have the pleasure of catching them. When you consider the size of the country in comparrison to ours, you know that they have LESS water. Most of our fish have NEVER felt a hook! Most of their fish have been caught a minimum of 20 times a piece. Germany is much different and I do LOVE it there as well. Most of the fish are still WILD and are throughout the size range.

HOPPY4

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    #1 son was stationed at Lakenheath for three years. He said several times that fishin in general was real tough to accomplish. All sorts of hurdles that had to be jumped. Some of the sites I have visited about carpin over there are incredible.

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    katfshn50, I have not been able to fish in England to this point. I have LONG Standing invitations, but have not been able to swing it. The fishing venues are not extreamly large for the most part and the waters are more controlled. I have been to Lakenheath and some Beautiful water is in that area. You can see where it would be an Enjoyable time if you only could fish!!! Time was my restriction each time that I have been in that country. Going in for 2/4 days at a time and departing immediately after. Getting the circuit up was the priority and that made life more restrictive. I HOPE that you get a chance to get out and catch some of the USA Carp as they are FUN!

HOPPY4

14. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Looks like you guy's had a Great Day !! Thanx for the pics.:big_smile:

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Houdini, Thank You for the comment! We did and that made all the difference! I look forward to fishing with them again as soon as we can make it happen.

HOPPY4

16. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I chum in reservoirs for channel cats and it draws in rough fish as well. I guess you want to dump it in a backwater in a river or it wouldn't do you much good.Whole milo,cracked corn, wheat or especially soybeans will work if you fill a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of grain and fill it the rest of the way with water. wheat corn or milo take 7-12 days to ferment soybeans 5-7 days depending on the time of year .The warmer it is outside the faster it will ferment. you just throw a few cupfulls out and wait. It isn't magic if there are no fish in the location you choose it won't help you. It can definitely put 'em in a feedin mood. If you're a city boy you can go to a feed store and buy whole milo at $5 a bag. Wheat runs 7-8$ soybean seeds leftover from last year can be had at any grain elevator for 12-15 dollars a bag they seem to work best for mr. whiskers but they smell like a combination of stale beer,sour milk and vomit.Don't put many beans in the bucket or they will blast the lid off. Don't put them close to any neighbors pets or small children cuz they will knock a buzzard off a road kill at 30 paces.But they do work .those limey carp fisherman use feed corn boiled for one hour or more. If you live in the boondocks you can get all the waste grain you want with a shovel and a bucket.grain elevators usually don't care if you shovel up some waste grain. range cubes will work but they take longer. good luck

17. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Bazpro

Bazpro New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the info Delbert. Very descriptive :big_smile: