Weekend fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was fishing DG (Dutch Gap) saturday and sunday. Saturday was ok fished from 10am-8pm caught a 9 lb Blue on cut shad, 10lb channel on Eel chunk and a 3 lb channel on cut bluegill and a lot of small ones in between, I did lose a monster :sad2: on a big ol crappie head (sorry crappie lovers) I knew I should've retied, I saw the weak spot in my braid but casted anyway, I knew better. Sunday fished from 12-7, only caught a 3 lb channel on cut bluegill and a 6 lb channel on a bluegill head. Sunday was a rough day for me, a damned jet ski caught one of my lines and broke that, I backlashed about 2 times and watched my bait drop in perfect places lol and broke off on the rocks, trees, etc a few times too, sunday was just not a good day. a guy a little further down from me caught a 10lb blue on a piece of shrimp, with a massive head and long body, if it had some damn meat on him it would've been 20 easy but only registered as 10.00 on my berkley digital scale. Anywho around 6 this guys wife starts tieing on chicken liver and starts hittin cat after cat, at least 10 and even though they were all baby's under a pound she was having fun and amazingly started catching stripers :crazy: I havent seen a striper in the area get caught from the bank in atleast a month but she caught about 8, and all on liver. 2 were 2lbers. I never saw bass hit liver like that, you know how you get the occassional: i started reeling and a bass grabbed it as i was retrieving, I mean as soon as the bait hit the bottom those stripers were on it. Anybody seen that before?

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never had any luck fishing Dutch Gap, lots of hang ups. O well I should give it another try.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    yeah I feel you on that, I hated DG at first, but the more I stick to it, the better it gets for me. Im new to Va fishing and just dont know where the hotspots are so I gotta link up with someone local, Im a better fisherman than all my friends, but I talked to a few people at a barbershop and they are supposed to take me to some hotspots about 30-40 minutes away