Weekend Fishing Reports - 28Aug to 30Aug

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Catfish Dave, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished Mitchell Lake in Waterloo again yesterday.

I started fishing at about 3:30pm with a dozen 6"-7" minnows. The wind was blowing irregularly and more or less out of the northwest so I was unable to follow my favored drift paths.

After some recent experiences with thermoclines turning my baits into popsicles I avoided any drifts over water in excess of 25', more or less successfully. Now that I have a sonar on the 'yak I have much better awareness of this.

I was pretty consistently marking fish on the bottom in a large area about 13.5' deep, especially around areas with dropoffs, humps, or near shore where the water got shallower.

I landed my first fish about an hour after I started fishing (~4:30p), it was a dismal ~1.5lbs. Just as the sun was going down I landed a much nicer channel at ~7lbs.

I had made plans to go out and have a beer with a friend and as I was pulling in my first line I got a solid, fast hit on my other line. After a good fight I landed a ~9lb channel.

Good fishing all told. Today I think I'm going to go take a look at the Cedar River by the Icehouse Museum in Cedar Falls. If I feel comfortable launching the kayak down there I'm gonna give a shot down where Snag Creek empties into the Cedar. If that doesn't seem cool I'm going back to Mitchell.

Dave.

2. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got four channels with a max of about 8lbs today.

It was very windy and made for interesting fishing conditions.

Dave.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    went out this morning and afternoon, got skunked:sad2:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yep Preston I stink with ya bro ...today "SKUNKED":